𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷𝟼: 𝙼𝚞𝚜𝚝 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚋𝚎𝚎𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚠𝚒𝚗𝚍

The leaves crunched beneath my feet as I sprinted through the dark woods trying to make sense of where I was

The leaves crunched beneath my feet as I sprinted through the dark woods trying to make sense of where I was. In the darkness, the tall trees looked like giants all eyeing their prey as it ran past their feet. I gulped as I looked around before breaking off into a spring again.

Leaping over the thin winding creeks, moss-covered boulders and the rain soaked slippery rocks, I tried to make my way to the roads. Maybe someone could help me find my there. I gasped and panted as I kicked up my legs and sprinted. The dirt floor was a little more drier here than it was an hour ago.

There in the distance, I could vaguely make out a house. The closer I got to it, the more relieved I was. It was an old abandoned cottage. It looked like it was built during the civil war and hadn't been used since. I slowed my pace and almost dropped to my knees near the steps of the cottage. Maybe someone was home, I thought as I saw flickering lights inside. Campers or stoners? I thought. It didn't matter, I just needed to find them.

Carefully, I climbed up the steps. "Hello?" I called out, looking in through the barely there window panes.

The glass was broken mostly and what was left standing on the window was painted in dust. In the corners of the windows and above me, I could see cob-webs and the left-overs of its owners hung on them. I gulped and knocked on the door.

"Hello? Is anyone in—" My words died in my throat as the door opened on it's own.

On the other side, there were four bodies of a man, a woman and two children. My stomach churned in fear and disgust as I took in the image before me.

The dead man's neck was ripped out as was the woman's but the woman's clothes were missing. The children's stomachs were ripped out and I could vaguely see that their arms were covered in bite marks. I gasped loudly and slowly stepped back. I didn't get far as I collided against someone.

Thud.

I turned around and there was a woman on the floor. She was shivering and cowering.

I knew I shouldn't have called out to her or anything but her cowering made me lower my guard. "Are you okay?" Against my better judgment, I called out to her.

She cried a little silently. Her hands over her face, she cried. I tried to approach her but stopped/ The clouds parted and the moonlight flooded the woods. My eyes widened as the light hit the woman. Her pale skin was caked in blood. My breath caught in my throat as I slowly backed off.

"...I'm lost." She cried out.

"I'm lost too." I said, trying to distract her while making gestures in the air. Luckily she didn't notice.

"...And so hungry." She added, removing her hands from her face. Her face was obscured by her tangled and matted hair. Angrily, she pushed it back. "Please..." She cried out, reaching out to me. "I'm so hungry." She screamed and tried to pounce on me.