40 - "The second item is family."

_________________________________

"In this moment I could stay forever,Hold you in my heart just like a treasure

Hold you in my heart just like a treasure."

Good Good Day - Volunteer

_________________________________

XL.
\\ FAMILY BONDS //

"The second item is family. Family is...annoying and they're a lot. You know, sometimes its not the family that you were born with, but that's okay. You can find your family. At the end of the day, they are yours and you are theirs. And remember that, we're still so young, and it's...totally okay to need your mom. I mean, family can save you when you're feeling down, but you have to make an effort. You have to."

@ @ @

"Sweetie, can you turn the oven off?"

Arden nodded to her mom, and walked over to the oven, pushing the button to turn it off as her mom took out the pan of mac n' cheese. Just the smell of it made Arden's stomach growl. Both her and her mom had been in the kitchen together for a couple hours, making mac n' cheese, potato salad, and other side dishes. Outside, Trevor and his dad were grilling up hot dogs and burgers.

Arden's mom and Trevor's dad had decided earlier in the week that they wanted to do a Sunday lunch together. Arden could tell how important it was to her mom, sitting down and eating lunch together as a new family. Her mom even told Arden to invite Brandon, wanting to meet him.

Arden was helping her mom with finishing up preparing the toppings for the burgers, cutting up lettuce, onions, tomatoes to put on a platter. They had been talking and laughing and joking around, and Arden was enjoying this day, spending time with her mother.

She wished for more days like the day she was having, and as if her mother sensed this wish, she broke some good news to Arden.

"I wanted to let you know that I asked to switch my hospital shifts to days." Her mom suddenly said.

Arden looked at her in surprise, "You did?"

"It's a better shift, I'll be home in the evenings. Get to spend time with my family." She explained, "Actually be here for you now..."

Arden looked up from what she was doing, frowning. She knew her mom still felt guilt for not being there for her through all of the Zoo stuff, and she didn't want her to feel responsible for any of it.

Arden said softly, "Mom, what happened to me was not on you—"

"I appreciate you saying that, sweetie, but if I had been here more, I would have seen something was wrong. I know I would have." Her mom said, tears in her eyes, "I worked so hard, but I missed out on so much time with you. I should have realized sooner that I was missing out on the most important thing— being there for you in the way a mom should."