23 - "I can't stop it."

________________________________

"Hate to ask but what's it like to leave me behind?I won't be, no I won't be like you,Fighting back, I'm fighting back the truth

I won't be, no I won't be like you,
Fighting back, I'm fighting back the truth.
Eyes like yours can't look away,
But you can't stop DNA."

DNA - Lia Marie Johnson

________________________________

XXIII.
\\ BETRAYAL //

Voices swirled together around Arden, trying to break through the cloud of numbness she felt. Somewhere along the way, her voice became apart of the others.

"Was there anyone else at the scene where Ash Franklin was shot?"

"Maybe...I don't know."

"Did you see the shooter?"

"No."

"Do you know who would have wanted to shoot Ash?"

"No."

The police questioned Elisia and Arden almost immediately after they had arrived at the hospital. Both of them answered the best they could. They told them that they had plans to meet up with Ash at the Grotto and when they got there, they heard the shots, and found Ash. Pretty soon, the police got all the answers they needed for the moment and left her and Elisia in the empty hallway, sitting there and waiting for updates on Ash.

Tears rested in the brims of her eyes as Arden held Elisia in her arms and stared blankly at the wall in front of them. Her mind wouldn't stop replaying the moments of seeing Ash on the floor, all of the blood...hearing Elisia's heart wrenching cries and screams.

Every time Arden closed her eyes she saw it. Heard the echoes.

They had been sitting there for almost two hours, the nurses had stopped by twice since they arrived to update them and ask them questions about Ash since he had no family they could call upon. Both she and Elisia did the best they could, tried to help as much as possible through the tears and crying.

But since then, they were no closer to knowing what was happening to Ash or how he was doing...or even if he would make it.

"Elisia, Arden..."

Arden's thoughts faded away from her at the sound of her name...and when she looked up, she saw Hailey and Rowan making their way down the hallway and to them.