1 - "I'm fine."

______________________________

"Memories, of a stolen place,Caught in the silence,An echo lost in space

Caught in the silence,
An echo lost in space."

Waves - Dean Lewis
______________________________

I.
\\ AN OLD FRIEND //

It was funny how things could change yet stay the same at the same time.

Arden thought about this as she stood in her old room, noting how it looked exactly the same as she left it...yet everything about being back felt different. The last memories she had of this room was when she was eight years old, and a lot had changed in her life since then. She had changed, especially just in the last couple years.

Even as Arden unpacked box after box of her things she had collected back in Denver, nothing felt familiar or like she belonged there. She really didn't know where she belonged anymore. Colorado no longer felt like home, yet neither did being back in her hometown, in her old house.

It came to where she didn't want to walk around her room anymore, having had enough for the day, so Arden pushed the rest of the boxes in the corner of her room, went to her leather jacket that was laid on the foot of her bed and slipped it on.

Grabbing her phone, Arden slipped it into the back pocket of her jeans and grabbed her boots as she walked out of her room. She made her way through the house and sat down on the foot of the steps that lead to the upstairs and started putting on her shoes.
And just as Arden started lacing up her boots, her mom appeared in the doorway to the living room, surprised to see her sitting there, putting on her shoes.

"Where are you off to?" My mom asked, "You just got here last night."

"I'm just going into town," Arden told her, "Reacquainting myself with where everything is."

Plus, she couldn't take being in the house and it's ghostly familiarity for another moment. But of course, she left that part out since it did no good for either of them to bring that up.

"Okay...well, be careful sweetie." My mom said, "Don't stay out too late."

Arden nodded, assuring her she would, even though it's not like her mom would know if she did, her night shift at the hospital started at 7pm and went until 6am.

"Arden, honey..." Her mom stopped her, "I know things are different now that you're back, and I know you're struggling with everything that happened...but I wanted you to know that I'm always here if you need anything or if you need to talk."

Arden finished lacing up her boots and stood up quickly, grabbing her set of house keys off of the key rack.

"Thanks Mom." Arden assured her, giving her a quick kiss on the cheek, "I'm fine. I promise. Love you, see you later."