27 - "Who is Mr. Empty?"

_________________________________

"What is reality?Bent and broken,left it wide open,Everything's crashing down

"What is reality?
Bent and broken,
left it wide open,
Everything's crashing down."

Nothing Is as It Seems - Hidden Citizens
_________________________________

XXVII.
\\ FAMILY TIES //

Arden was pulled out of her sleep early the next morning by the sound of her phone chiming. Groaning, she picked her head up and grabbed her phone off of her nightstand, scrunching her eyes as they adjusted to the brightness of her screen.

She saw there was a message from Elisia in the group chat with her and Rowan.

Elisia 🖤 // 8:12AM
Ash woke up last night. Meet at the hospital in an hour?

Arden sat straight up in her bed, happiness and relief flooding over her as she read over the words again.

Ash is awake.

Rowan had already responded she'd be there soon, and Arden quickly texted Elisia back saying she'd be there shortly as well. A grin pulled at her lips as she quickly got out of bed and went to go get herself ready.

But on her way to the bathroom, she caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror, and it was then when she realized that she had fallen asleep last night with Brandon's jacket on.

Swallowing as she pulled at the sleeves, taking the jacket off and then tossed it into her closet, reminding myself that she needed to hurry up and get ready to go.

She quickly changed her clothes, brushed through her hair, and did her make-up before picking up her bag off the floor, throwing it over her shoulder and grabbing her jacket off her chair and heading out her room.

Yawning as she walked down the hallway, she stepped into the kitchen and was surprised to see Trevor sitting at the counter, eating a bowl of cereal. He was all dressed and seemed like he was heading out soon. She was surprised that he was awake this early on at Saturday morning. He also seemed surprised when he saw her walk in.

"Where are you going?" Trevor asked curiously.

"The hospital," Arden told him, "Ash is awake and they're letting visitors in to see him."

She looked back at him, seeing his eyes soften. Everyone knew that Ash had been shot and had almost died. She was sure a lot of people, Trevor included, didn't think he was going to make it.

"How about you?" Arden cleared her throat as she changed the subject, "Where you heading?"

He got up out of his chair, walking over to the sink and setting his bowl down in it.