19 - "You don't have to be."

________________________________

"Heart lyin' in my hands,I never wanted this

I never wanted this.
This tear will never mend,
How did it come to this?"

Slip Away - UNSECRET, Ruelle

________________________________

XVIIII.
\\ THE LIST //

As soon as Arden finished helping Brandon with taking all the flyers down around the school, she immediately rushed over to the abandoned church to meet up with Stinger and her friends, knowing that she was going to be late. Luckily the church wasn't too far away from the school so she would definitely make it there in about fifteen minutes if she hurried.

I really needed to get my own car.

Eventually she got there and as she entered the church she immediately found Stinger sitting in front of his computer set-up, typing away as Rowan, Elisia, and Hailey all gathered around him.

"Sorry I'm late," Arden said as she walked down the isle towards the front, "I had to run home real quick and my mom was there and wanted to talk."

Arden wasn't sure why she told them a lie. In the moment, it seemed better than telling them that she was late because she was with Brandon, who was still a suspect in their eyes. It was becoming clear that she was starting to not think of him that way.

Either way, they didn't seem to suspect that she wasn't being honest with them.

Her eyes then met Hailey's and they softened as she walked up to her.

"Hailey," Arden hugged her tightly, "You okay?"

She returned her embrace, nodding against her shoulder, "I'm okay."

Arden held her for a few moments, so thankful that she made it out of that attack. If something happened to her, or any of her friends, Arden don't know what she would do. She had lost too many people in her life already, and she couldn't lose them.

When Arden finally pulled away from Hailey, she looked at the others, "Did I miss anything?"

"Just that KingCobra left the Zoo website and created his own, deep in the web." Elisia told her, "It's getting more serious."

Arden frowned, running her fingers through her hair. Just when she thought it couldn't get any worse. Now KingCobra has sunk into the dark depths of the dark web?

Rowan nodded too, "And I found a pig mask in Sean's locker."

Arden glanced at Hailey, who wouldn't meet anyone's eye. It was no secret how she felt for Sean, and she couldn't imagine how she must be feeling right now. Finding out Sean was Pigmania?