07.

june 1965-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-claire anderson

june 1965
-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-
claire anderson

        mom was off at the hospital since she worked as an NICU nurse, she convinced me to do babysitting after the many babies she saw in the hospital, i had to turn down that offer as i had school to focus on.

        dad was coming back at the end of this month so he could prepare for our yearly fourth of july party that friends and family can enjoy. my dad worked as a captain for the marines, he had to move back the date he'd come back home as the men he was training with were lacking.

he's all the way down in delaware sending my mom postcards every time of the day, he's only been away for a month. originally, he was supposed to be back the day after soda and i first hung out but we got a letter telling us he'd be home 30th instead, that's in a week.

i invited vada to keep myself accompanied while everybody was out of the house, randy went out with marcia instead of hanging out with his 'friends'. something seemed off with randy as he became more distant with bob and the others, barely even wanting to go out with them anymore.

the doorbell rang along with a small knock that had a tone to it. i run up to the door and opened it, vada smiled in front of me before entering. she placed her purse on the counter while i prepared us a glass of orange juice, her favorite.

"so, tell me." she squealed, "how did your little date go?"

"my hangout," i exaggerated the word, "went well except for the part where bob almost jumped us."

"woah, bob almost jumped you?!" vada gasped.

"yeah but surprisingly, randy stopped him." i was still shocked as of now.

vada raised her eyebrows and sipped her orange juice, i had the same reaction the day after it happened. we sat on my living room couch with the air being filled with silence, we were so shocked at how mature randy handled the situation that night.

        "did you hear about friday?" vada questioned.

        "no, what about friday?" i sat confused, taking another sip of my orange juice.

        "bob's calling for a rumble at the abandoned lot of the soc side," vada gave out, "he said he wants to get a one on one action with your sodapop."

        "oh god, was my name mentioned in any of it?" i panicked.

        "after saturday night? yeah, they want you watching front row like it's a play." she told me.

        "you're not serious, are you?" i placed my hand on her shoulder.

        "you dummy! of course i'm kidding!" she laughed, "however, the rumble part wasn't a joke."

        i groaned with my head back, this was all my fault. if i hadn't brung soda with me to the park while drunk socs came along, this would've never happened. that boy has been through too much and here i am just bringing on more drama from my side of town to him.

hours go by until it struck night, vada checked the clock that was hung up above the doorframe to our dining room. she had to be home before dinner which was at 8:30, it was around 8 o'clock.

"my mom's probably worried, i gotta get home." vada says as she's packing up her stuff.

"yeah, no worries." i shook my head, "i'll see tomorrow at school?"

        "of course, where else would i be on a boring thursday morning?" vada sarcastically asked.

        "i don't know, at dallas winston's place." i smirked, she threw a pillow at me.

❥•°❀°•༢

        there was a dark shadow standing above me, it was a tall figure. i turned around to see dallas winston standing behind, no one. the hallway was now empty as we were the only ones late to class.

        "anderson." he said sternly.

        "dallas tucker winston." i returned the attitude.

        "your friend, vada, could you ask her if she's interested in going to a party of mine?" he requested.

        "depends, what's in it for me?" i crossed my arms.

        "i could get mr. sodapop to be your date." he smirked, i slapped him across the face.

        i slammed my locker and began walking to the library, it was my free period but i wasn't looking forward to using it for the bathroom. my next class was biology which was not that boring as we were dissecting frogs.

        dallas was following me, copying my pace to the library. i almost made it when his hand reached the door knob first. i huffed then turned to look at him again, he wasn't angry or happy.

        "it doesn't have to be a date but it's just a little party after the rumble, loss or win we don't care." dallas admitted.

"what if you guys get knocked out, don't tell me you're dragging them with you to the party." i sent him a death stare.

"they can stay home, it's not mandatory anyways." dallas shrugged, "you don't have to go either, vada will probably be fine without you."

"unless you get her knocked up by the next day." i laughed.

"and you girls calls us guys gross." he scoffed, "alright, i gotta get to class."

"good for you." i nodded before walking into the library.

hell, if soda and i work out then thank you winston.