08.

june 1965-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-sodapop curtis

june 1965
-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-
sodapop curtis

today struck friday, the whole gang was too busy getting amped up for tonight's rumble. steve has been doing more pushups than ever, he tried to do at least 50 so his muscles can looks more manlier than they already do.

darry got off work early to practice some punches with the old punching bad my dad once got for us, he only got it so that we know the basics of self defense as we live on the greaser side of tulsa.

"once those socs heads get smashed into the ground, everybody's getting free drinks." dally noted.

"unless you're ponyboy who is still 14." darry muttered, "but you all will be limited the amount of drinks."

"c'mon, dar, stop being a mom for once." two-bit groaned.

"two, if you don't shut your damn mouth i'm kicking your ass all the way back to your mama's house." darry gave him the side-eye.

        usually before rumbles, darry would feel calm unless the rumble was caused by someone from his gang. we would do the old fashion curtis plus shepard gang for rumbles but we now had to call in more, the lebroys.

        the lebroy gang is tougher than you think, they left a soc knocked out during our last rumble. it's a small gang with only 5 members but their leader, phil makes sure they work their ass off before a rumble. until a soc's face is left black and blue, rumble is over.

        "alright, i gotta call up the gangs to meet up for a talk." darry said to us all.

"dar, ya think ponyboy is good to go for the rumble?" dally asked.

"sure but if he breaks a bone then he's out for good." darry says before walking out.

pony sat next to johnny on the couch, "you feeling good, johnnycakes?"

        "i don't know, part of me just doesn't want me in that rumble." he shrugged, "for all i know there'll be a blade in someone."

        "you don't have to go, johnny." i reassured him.

        "i don't want to let the gang down." johnny sighs.

"johnny you are welcome to back down for as long as you want." pony lastly says.

i trailed to my room and closed the door behind me, rumbles like these were always fun when my parents were around. my dad always made sure everyone ran a mile before a fight, just so we feel more energized.

sure my mom would always scold my brothers and i after a fight but she was just glad we knew something about self defense. everything changed when my parents died, nobody was smiling as much.

darry was looking forward to continuing his journey of being a star athlete since birth, he began football at the age of 5 but his dreams soon came to a stop when he had bills and groceries to pay. i dropped out of school to help him out, pony's our last hope to get a degree in this family.

i heard the front door open and the sound of darry's voice, "let's get to it, boys!"

                    ❥•°❀°•༢

        guys flooded the streets as they were on their way, once our foot stepped down on the green grass of the abandoned lot, it was time. mustangs with boys in madras screamed on their way.

johnny wanted to back down from the rumble, we completely understood why as he came from a full childhood of fights and violence. usually darry would pressure someone into attending the rumble but he always treated johnny differently, like the rest of us did.

dally was smushing his cigarette into the muddy ground as the socs walked up to us, one of which happened to be an old friend of darry's, paul richards. paul wasn't a nice guy, before he would always be secretly violent to pony when our parents weren't looking, darry stoped being friends with him after that.

darry puts on his mug face as he came face to face with paul, paul couldn't even take darry serious as you could see the smirk on his face. tim shepard had no idea what was going on until two-bit had to explain to him.

"i thought i'd never see your face again." darry scoffed.

"yeah we'll if your brother wasn't banging anderson's sister then we wouldn't even be here." paul looked to the side and spat at dally's shoes.

that infuriated dally, the first punch was thrown by him. it was funny as the person in front of him was bob sheldon, the soc who had jumped johnny not too long ago and left a big old mark on his face.

a soc came tackling after me, i was pushed to the ground. my eyes widened to meet the eyes of claire's ex-boyfriend, clayton. i swung at him multiple times until another one jumped on my back, causing a loud crack in the middle.

i groaned with my eyes shut from the pain, taking in all the punches i was given to. that all ended when steve's foot came barreling in, hit th eggy right by the jaw. i swear i saw a tooth flying from the side of my eye.

steve pulls me back up as i regained my vision, letting my arm swing back and front against a soc who tried to keep me down. my knuckle socked the guy right in the jaw, that was when his aimed right for my gut, making my drop to the ground. i tried huffing and puffing to catch my breath but it got harder and harder for me to breathe every second.

the guy turns me over before getting a few punches into my face, i punched back but it took the strength out of me. the guy was on the ground next to me when the sound of three gunshots went off, there bob was; standing on the picnic table with a gun in his hand. obviously, he had been drinking before this as there was an evil smug on his face.

"i'm gonna fucking get you, curtis!" bob yells before pointing the gun at me.

i put my arms up in surrender but i watched randy snatch his arm, the gun shot right at the tree next to them. socs along with the other greasers fled the place, dally knew this would add another one to his record so he fled too.

darry huddles everyone for a run back to the house but i went the other way, the way that led towards claire's house. from the distance, you could hear bob and randy arguing, that was when the cops showed up.

the engines of mustangs drove off into the fog...