14.

july 1965-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-claire anderson

july 1965
-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-
claire anderson

"claire, when did you get this letter?" soda asks, holding back his tears.

"the day of our date, i didn't want to tell you-"

"you could get hurt, claire. those people could bomb your tent and boom, you're done!" soda interrupts, "i'm sorry but i just don't want to see you getting hurt, i want to be there for you."

"oh soda, you'll always be a part of me." i smiled through tears, "but this could bring up my nursing game as it's been my dream to take care of people."

"it's your dream, i ain't gonna stop you but just promise me you'll write to me?" he begs.

"i promise." i said.

soda hadn't brought up the war talk all night, he sat on the patio all silent, watching the clouds hover over the moon. i let him walk me to my bedroom, even let him in but that still didn't get a word out of him. he lied in my arms while staring at the ceiling. me going to war as a nurse affected him real bad, this is the longest soda's been quiet.

"claire?" soda looked up at me.

"hm?" i hummed.

"when you leaving?" he frowned.

"i'm expected to be on the train in two days." i said.

"i got two days to make sure i see your smile, i can do that." soda said to himself, i giggled.

        time struck midnight and soda was still here, family members had left ages ago but soda remained the last guest, even my mom forgot he was here. i let his arms wrap around my waist as long as he let me play with his hair.

        we looked at the clock one more time, 1 am. soda got up to put on his flannel that he took off two hours ago. i pouted when i realized he had to go, he had work in the morning and pony was probably worried about where he was.

        "i'm gonna take off early so i can spend the rest of my day with you, and tomorrow." soda winked before kissing my lips.

i thought i was ready to say, "soda?"

"yes, baby?" he turned to me when his foot was out the window.

scratch that, claire. "walk safe, please?"

"for you." he says before jumping out.

❥•°❀°•༢

the phone rang when i was busy curling my hair. it kind of annoyed me as i wasn't even finished with the last strand of my hair, i plug out the curling iron before walking over to the phone. i picked it up and waited for a voice.

"hello?" i asked first, all irritated.

"sorry for bothering you, claire." i could hear soda say.

"oh soda, i'm sorry for being mad. i didn't mean it." i told him.

"well if it makes you feel any better, i'm planning on taking us out, won't tell you until we're there." soda plans, "i'll there in 10."

"oh i-" the phone went dead silent, he hung up.

i went back to the bathroom where i waited for the curling iron to heat up again,  i sat on the toilet lid while staring at my nails that haven't been done in ages. soda was gonna be here soon and i'm not even ready.

the curling iron eventually became hot again but i found out in the worst way possible. i tried to use the counter to lift myself up but instead was met with a burning sensation in my hand, i had just burned myself badly with the curling iron.

this was gonna leave a mark.

the doorbell rang, i tried to drag myself to the door but when my hand touched the doorknob, i shrieked. i used my other hand to open it where soda was standing in front of me with a bouquet of flowers, his smile dropped when he saw me clutching my hand.

"jesus, claire! what happened to your hair?" he dropped the flowers to look at my palm.

"a curling iron was what happened, mind unplugging it so i can grab a towel?" i pleaded, he nodded.

i ran to the kitchen where i stuck two ice cubes in the hand towel, pressed it against my skin. the feeling was not good but it was the first thing i thought of to help this burn. soda held the unplugged curling iron that had steam leaving its surface.

i laughed when he thought i was smoking up something, like the hippies everyone sees protesting around the streets. soda looked a bit upset as our date was supposed to be 10 minutes ago but i wasted all that time trying to cure a burn.

"it's my fault, soda." i gave him a frown, "this day was supposed to be special but i ruined it."

"it ain't your fault, claire. besides, we got tons of hours ahead of us today so take your time."

        "i lo-" i wanted to say it before i have to leave but something in me couldn't say it.

        "you were saying something?" soda asks while on his walk back to the door to grab the flowers he dropped.

"uh no, i was just about to ask for the flowers you dropped." i lied.