15.

july 1965-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-sodapop curtis

july 1965
-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-
sodapop curtis

claire figured her hand felt a bit better, i doubted it but i couldn't let our date wait on for hours. instead, i kept opening doors for her or letting her hand hold mine to keep warm from all the ice that was numbing her hand.

it was only 5 in the afternoon now but there was still 7 hours left until we considered it the next day, claire was leaving tomorrow but she won't leave without the best day of her life.

"soda, please tell me where we're going, it's like we're in the middle of nowhere." she looked at the route's sandy grounds.

"i was about to go to this one restaurant but they closed before we could even get to the car, i figured you liked ice cream so i'm driving up to the place my dad used to take my brothers and i." i insisted.

"aww soda, you planned this date so i don't really care where you take me, as long as it isn't a murder trap." she stuck her finger in my face.

"i can guarantee you that it's not a murder trap." i laughed.

claire started looking out the window where her eyes met the small little ice cream parlor, i parked by the front where we would take the car somewhere else to watch the sunset and stargaze.

i got out of the car and attended the passenger side door, opened it for claire who felt delighted. her hand never left mine when we're were walking inside the ice cream parlor, she looked like a cute 5 year old checking out all the ice cream flavors displayed in front of her eyes. i knew i had enough money for any bizarre stuff she wanted to get for her ice cream.

        claire ended up getting a simple vanilla ice cream on a waffle cone, she said she usually gets strawberry ice cream but was in the mood for vanilla. i got myself a cookies and cream ice cream, showing off how good my taste is in ice cream flavors.

        we went back to my car where i made a small drive towards the middle of nowhere, left it on park. claire got out of the car to sit on the hood, i sat with her, she rested her head on my shoulder when i wrapped my arm around her shoulder.

        "you know soda, if i don't make it out of vietnam, know that this is the closest we can get to being married." she said.

        "you're gonna make it out of that place, and i'm gonna make sure we actually get married." i told her, "maybe steve can be my best man, or darry, or maybe even pony."

        "vada will always be on top of my list for my maid of honor, she's known me my whole life basically." claire sighed.

        "i will marry you, claire. i don't care what conditions, i love you!" i shouted, claire looked at me.

"do you really mean it?" she said after her silence.

"yes claire, why do you think i care about you a lot?" i shook my head.

"i love you too, soda." she grinned before leaning in for a kiss.

❥•°❀°•༢

        claire laid in my arms while stargazing, it got darker and darker by the minute. she liked pointing at one of the stars that she gave random names for, or i assumed she did, i remember some of the names of biology from when i was in school.

there were snores coming from beneath my arm, i looked to see claire dead asleep in my arm. i slowly got up with my right arm under her neck and the other under her legs. i carefully picked her up to my car where i gently placed her into the passenger seat, she moved just to get comfortable in her seat.

on the ride home, i kept thinking to myself about how i would live on for the next few years with claire in vietnam. i wanted to just pinch myself in the face until my nose was broken and big like steve's, i was being my dumb old self again where i let go of another girl who i truly love. only this time, it was claire who actually took that all into consideration and said it back too, unlike sandy who just said she needed time.

"soda?" claire groaned, rubbing her eyes.

"claire, baby, why don't you sleep? we still got a long way to go." i looked at her then the road.

"i'll sleep at home." she yawned in between her sentences.

"wish i could be there with you." i frowned.

"who said you couldn't?" she smirked.

"you're funny, your mom would kill me if she-"

"knew you were sleeping in my bed, sucks since she already left for my grandmother's house just so she didn't have to feel so lonely when i'm gone." claire shrugged, "do you want to stay over for the night?"

"i mean if you want me to." i said.

"my house feels too empty, so why not?" she thought.

darry knew that claire was leaving, he knew that i wanted to make the most of her life before she left. if i didn't do this now, there was no way i could do this later on. claire is literally the love of my life, even if i've only known her for barely a month.

just wish she knew...