21.

august 1965-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-sodapop curtis

august 1965
-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-
sodapop curtis

        i still haven't gotten a letter back from claire since the last time i thought about her, well i thought about her just a second ago but never thought about getting a letter from her.

        it's been nearly a month since her last letter and i felt uneasy, pony said i should just let it go and that she had forgotten about me but i knew i couldn't. dally knew how attached i was to her that he even offered me to get laid by some girl, i wouldn't take that chance, not even if i wasn't with claire.

        everyday i just run up to my mailbox like a maniac, only to find no letter written by claire.

        it felt like a normal morning with the gang in my kitchen trying to get the first bite of the chocolate cake, it's just steve and two-bit who fight over it, sometimes dally whenever he feels extremely hungry.

        darry came in with mail in his hand, "soda, you got mail!"

        i ran as fast as i could when i saw claire's name written on the envelope. my smile was as wide as a jack-o-lantern, just seeing claire anderson's name in front of my eyes. the guys minded their own business besides dally who was slightly interested in looking at the letter.

        my eyes slowly scrolled left to right on every word, only to water up.

dear sodapop,
i don't even know where to start, i never really expected myself
to write this to you, i thought i would be able to make it to our
future wedding and have a nice home by the lake with our kid.

i sincerely apologize for not being able to come home to give you
the kisses you truly deserve from me, i broke my promise and it
kills me. i know we'll see each other a different time period but now
isn't it, maybe in that time period we'll have the kids we desired to have,
have that house we have always dreamed of since we first started dating,
and have that wedding we both truly need.

as of now, i know i'll never get out of here. by the time you get this letter which
i hardly doubt, i won't be here anymore. when this letter is sent to you, i'll be meeting
your parents, watching over you go on in life.

remember to tell the gang i said hello and goodbye, i know they'll never hear both
of those from me ever again. soda, you know i'll love you forever and still do, just
please never lose yourself because of me, that's my last wish on earth.

your wife, claire anderson

my eyes became a pool with the tears, my hand fell over my mouth while i let go of the letter. i wish i had told this girl i loved her before it was too late, why was i always late to everything?

i was late to saying goodbye to my parents, and even telling them i loved them, now my girlfriend?

        dally picked up the letter from the ground with sorrow eyes, his face has never made this expression ever since my parents died, except he was the one who actually freaked out.

        "why'd it get so quiet?" johnny asks.

        "you diggin' okay, soda?" two-bit questions in concern.

        "have a few more bite of your food." darry tells me placing a hand on my shoulder, i flipped out.

        "don't touch me!" i snapped.

        "soda, he's was just telling you to-" steve chimes in before i interrupt him.

        "shut the hell up!" i wrapped my hands over my head, "i gotta go."

        i dashed through the front door sprint down the street, bystanders as in mothers walking their kids watched me, they saw the tears a man like me had in my eyes. until they felt what it was like to lose the love of their life, i won't ignore.

        i stopped myself at the tree near the lot, nobody goes there but the gang and shepherds part of the gang.

           my hands fell behind my head as my face has become a waterfall resort, i'm gonna drive myself off the edge because of how crazy i'm about to go.

            i felt like shit...