eight

12 Grimmauld Place

Althena sat in the kitchen smoking a cigarette and drinking from a metal wine goblet that was embellished with designs. She read a newspaper, scoffing at each sentence that berated Harry or Lorelei.

Tonks walked in and rummaged through the pantry, "Blimey, have they eaten everything?"

"You'll find that's all they do besides bicker and joke around."

She slowly turned to Althena, "I'm sorry about the whole curtain and garlic thing. I didn't mean to..."

"It's all right." Althena quietly replied, "Being here and around Remus and Sirius has brought back memories that I tried to forget for a long time. The Order... all of it. I didn't mean to be rude to you, it's not personal."

"It is personal." Tonks said, "But I know not in the way you mean."

"I also tend to be on edge when the sun is out. It's not exactly my favorite time of the day."

Tonks chuckled, "Does it get lonely being up all night with no one around?"

"Not exactly. You get use to being alone in the dark after a while."

The two walked out of the kitchen, and into the living room where most of the order was. They were talking amongst themselves, not noticing the two coming in.

Tonks took a seat next to Remus on the couch, while Althena sat in a spare chair. Mad-Eye walked passed her and snatched her cigarette, "Stop with that bloody habit of yours." He said, throwing it in the fireplace.

He sat down, and Althena looked him directly in the eye as she lit a new cigarette.

"I'm going to outlive you all. I don't know why it bothers you so much. Any information on Voldemort?" Althena questioned.

Remus sighed with a shake of his head, "Dead ends. The Ministry of Magic is relentless. They don't want to believe even for a second that he's back."

"Well, they w–"

Althena cut off her words when the hairs on her back stood up. She looked over her shoulder and slowly stood up, "Althena?" Sirius said, "What is it?"

She put her cigarette in between her lips and got out her wand, slowly walking out of the living room. She crept to the front door, and opened it carefully.

She came face to face with Lorelei Malfoy. Standing at the doorstep. Face sunken and tired as she clenched a letter in her hand and a bag in the other, "Bit stupid to put the address of this place in a letter."

"I didn't write it." Althena replied, lowering her wand. She held out her hand, "Nice to meet you, finally."

Lorelei took her hand and shook it firmly. Her eyes turned from empty to confusion quickly, and Althena caught on. She looked at the young witch with a small smile, "That won't do you any good with me, love."

She stared Althena down, slowly walking into the home.

"Come on."

Lorelei followed Althena into the living room, "Found her." Althena announced.

Tonks gasped, Remus' eyes widened, Mad-Eye huffed, Kingsley gave a slight nod and a smile, and Sirius just stared.