nineteen

Augustus and Harry were the two who felt the most lonely at Hogwarts. Despite being surrounded by their friends, things were just bleak for the two.

Harry sent off Hedwig with a message to Sirius, and Augustus stood next to him as they watched the owl fly away.

"Full Moon is tonight. Shouldn't you be resting?" Harry asked as the two wandered into a forest.

"I've found that it's better to be active and get some fresh air before the transformation." Augustus tiredly replied.

"You don't look too good." Harry commented.

Augustus's lips curled up into a small smile, "Thanks, Potter. I haven't noticed."

The two stopped talking when they heard the sound of distant howling. It wasn't quite like a dog or a werewolf, it sounded much more ethereal and soft.

The two walked up a small hill and found Luna Lovegood standing barefoot in the forest petting the animals the two saw pulling the carriages when they arrived to Hogwarts.

The two approached her, and she didn't even turn back to see who it was before speaking, "Hello, Harry Potter and Augustus Cairo."

She finally turned to them, and Harry was looking down, "Your feet. Aren't they cold?"

She looked back to the animals, "A bit. Unfortunately, all my shoes have mysteriously disappeared. I suspect Nargles are behind it."

Augustus stared at the large winged creature that looked similar to a dragon, "What are they?"  He asked her.

"They're called Thestrals." Luna said as it let out a loud cry, "They're quite gentle, really. People avoid them because they're a bit... different." She trailed off, looking at a baby Thestral walking towards them.

"But why can't the others see them?" Harry asked, following Luna and Augustus towards more Thestrals.

"They can only be seen by people who've seen death." Luna said, watching the two Gryffindors.

"So... you've known someone who's died then?" Harry asked her.

Luna nodded, "My mum. She was quite an extraordinary witch, but she did like to experiment, one one day, one of her spells went badly wrong. I was nine."

"I'm sorry." Both Augustus and Harry said together.

The baby Thestral screeched as they approached it, "Yes, it was rather horrible. I do feel very sad about it sometimes. But I've got dad." She softly said as she reached into her bag to pull out food for the animal.

Harry turned to Augustus, "Who do you know that died?"

Augustus avoided eye contact with the two as he watched the Thestral, "My little brother." He mumbled, "Died about 2 months after my parents. He was hit with Dark Magic as a little kid and was sick ever since. Never figured out what it exactly was and there was of course no cure. He was your age when your mum died, Luna. Just nine years old. I was by his bedside when he let go of my hand and drew his last breath."

"I'm sorry that happened to you, Augustus." Luna sincerely said. The two watched Luna roll an apple to the Thestral, "We both believe you, by the way. That He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is back, and you and Lorelei Malfoy fought him, and the Ministry and the Prophet are conspiring against you and Dumbledore." She said to Harry.

"Thanks." Harry said, "It seems you're about the only ones that do."

Luna bent down to feed the Thestral, "I don't think that's true. But I suppose that's how he wants you to feel."