28 - His Facade

The stars shone bright that night.

The next time I opened my eyes, I was back in my room. It was quite dark outside, and the moonlight shone down on me. My back was cramped, as if I had slept in a very wrong way for a very long time.

Did Damian carry me all the way back?

I sat up immediately at the thought. I felt utterly guilty for sleeping on him and making him carry me right after our... date. If you could call it one. If I was that exhausted, surely he must be too.

I threw the cover off myself and noticed that I was in the same clothes as before. My clothes were absolutely messy and wrinkled, exactly what I hated. But I couldn't blame no one.

11:37 pm.

I groaned as my stomach grumbled in hunger. Missing dinner was not on my agenda. Well, that was disappointing. Seeing as the last thing I had eaten was cotton candy, and it was practically liquid sugar.

Speaking of cotton candy...

The time Damian and I spent in the amusement park came rushing back. My cheeks turned pink as I remembered the moment Damian leaned down to take a bite of the cotton candy.

The moment my heart skipped a beat.

This man was doing something to me. He made me feel things I hadn't felt in a long time, and I desperately didn't want to. He made me happy, and I wondered, was it really okay for me to be happy?

I went to my closet and saw that I had nothing decent and comfortable. Something I could wear to sleep, but also outside. I was hoping I could escape out of here, seeing as I had slept the evening away.

I went down to the kitchen, not getting lost once. I grabbed few bread slices and toasted them. When they were done, I buttered them up and ate. Obviously, they weren't the perfect dinner, but they would do for now.

On the way back to my room, I stopped by this pretty little balcony, which gave me a beautiful view of the moon. How hadn't I noticed this before? It was a floor above my room's, but you could see the moonlight streaming in from far away.

It looked warm, cozy, and inviting even.

So, not resisting the urge, I went and stood there, leaning against the ivory railings. The moon looked happy in the company of the stars. Although there was this particular star, which shone brighter than the others, yet it was in a corner, all alone.

It reminded me of myself, to be honest. Some sense of nostalgia filled me when I thought about my previous life, before Lila and before the chaos. Was I happy back then? I was deep in my thoughts when I saw a shadow move behind me.

The hair on the back of my neck stood up as I turned alert. I immediately turned around, throwing a punch to whoever was behind me, when a hand held my arm. It hadn't even struck me that it could be someone I know.

"It is rude to just punch people, you know."

"Damian?" I asked, baffled. Damian stood in front of me in all his glory. "Yes. Now close your mouth, you look like a fish." he said, coming to stand beside me. "It's rude to insult people too, you know." I snap back.

He didn't reply, nor did he bother to look at me. He just stood and stared at the sky. Silence filled the surroundings, and this time, it was comfortable. "Why are you here?" he asked.

"I couldn't sleep. You?"

"Me either."

"Marinette." Damian called out my name, making me snap my head towards him. He looked as if he was contemplating something before shaking his head and sighing. He then looked into my eyes.