4 | Evans Academy

[Aliciel Blacker Point of View]

It has been a few months since I slapped myself infront of Allen.

Yet he continues to approach me even after that day, despite the fact that I constantly ignores him.

He clung to me like a parasite no matter how many times I pushed him away. Every time I saw him, those thoughts of resentment surfaced simultaneously.

With each passing day, though, it became easier for me to face him without becoming agitated.

But sometimes, it was still hard.

"Sister, this..."

I narrowed my eyes and turned my attention away from the book to Allen as he carefully placed the small box to my direction on the table.

"What's this?"

"A gift."

"Why do you feel the need to give me gift?"

I asked codly, looking at him with curious gaze.

"I-it's a gift for sister to hold on after entering the academy and... i-it's your 15th birthday gift even though it's a bit late."

My brows furrowed in displeasure as I was reminded of my birthday banquet a week ago.

(Even though Aliciel was unloved, I guess the Duke doesn't want to lose face so he held a birthday banquets for her yearly. Although I pretended I was sick and didn't attend it.)

Looking at the gift Allen gave, I guess he didn't have the time to give it to me since I was busy preparing for the academy.

(He's doing something useless again.)

"Thank you for being thoughtful, but I don't need it, Allen."

My response caused him to flinch, and he lowered his head, his expression troubled.

Seeing how pitiful he is, sigh escaped my lips then I took the small white box he presented.

"Perhaps for this gift, I'd make an exception."

His eyes brightened once more upon seeing me accepting his gift.

To open the small box, I placed my book on the table. Despite the fact that it has a simplistic style, the quality is outstanding.

(I wonder what's inside.)

I was greeted by a silver pocket watch when I opened it. Furthermore, carved on the watch are the letters 'A. B', which stands for my name.

I was taken aback by how exquisite it appears to be. Even the designs attract my attention.

(It's lovely.)

"Do you like it?"

Allen questioned hesitantly, fidgeting with his fingers and looking at me with a curious, hopeful, albeit nervous, gaze.

It was clear that he was attempting to gain my favor in whatever way he could.

The fact that he's sincere, on the other hand, made my heart waver, even if it was just for a split second.

The unfamiliar sensation of warmth began to mysteriously filled in the void inside of me.

(It's strange.)

"... I'll use it well. Thank you."

I gave him a faint smile that immediately vanished then placed the pocket watch back into the box, wrapping it again as my gaze remained steady.

(Since it's handy, I'll just bring it to the academy.)

"I'm glad if you think that way!"

Allen grinned at me, most likely noticing the faint smile I had on my face. But I averted my eyes from him and picked up the book to resume reading the page I was on.