14 | Birthday Celebration (3)

"Take this too."

Valen handed her a dagger, which she accepted without reluctance as she holds the grip.

Aliciel was anxious about the situation, but she didn't have much of a choice at the moment. She can rely on Valen as the Crown Prince because of the game's events.

He then clasped her hand and the dagger with his own hand. His expression thoughtful with a mixture of seriousness.

Valen understands that, despite being the Crown Prince, he cannot always protect the people around him because he's also a human being.

But at least, he can keep an eye on them and do his best in a dangerous situation to ensure the best possible outcome.

"This will be useful than having nothing at all."

Aliciel's grip on the dagger tightened as she concluded she needs to trust herself more instead of relying on others.

Valen released his hand from hers, fully entrusting the weapon to Aliciel who he considers capable of using it wisely.

"Don't worry about long range attacks. The assassins only have swords on them."

Aliciel's brow furrowed in concentration. Valen's calm demeanor and ability to calculate everything astonished her even in that situation.

That information, on the other hand, makes Aliciel even more nervous.

"Does that supposed to make me feel better?"

Valen was taken aback, as he hadn't expected her to say anything in that circumstances.

"Huh? It didn't?"

Veins formed on her neck the instant she heard Valen's innocent response, which he believed was encouraging enough for Aliciel, but it wasn't.

(Of course not, you idiot. Whether they use long-range attacks or not, the fact remains that they're here to assassinate you, and I have been brought into this mess.)

"I'm not a hero, therefore I can't promise your safety. However, encourage yourself and maintain your confidence."

Aliciel let out a sigh and her eyes narrowed. Valen's words were able to reassure her this time, but she refuses to accept it.

"That's something I'm fully aware of. But it would be nice if you don't die infront of my face."

"Wow my lady, is that a threat to a royal family?"

"It's not, your highness. I'm just being shameless as I don't want to deal with that."

Valen chuckled at Aliciel's sharp response. In that crucial moment, she entertained him, giving him more confidence and strength to confront the assassins.

"Won't it be nicer to die together rather than having me die in front of you?"

"It'll be preferable if we both make it out alive."

Valen was deafeningly quiet, as if he was thinking about something after her sentence.

Then a smile appeared on his lips as he realized Aliciel genuinely cared about him getting out alive, even if it was indirectly.

"Yes, that's preferable indeed."

Valen then glanced at the door after coming up with an idea.

"I have a risky plan, my lady. I'd like you to take part in it."

Aliciel cast him a doubtful gaze before finalizing her decision.

She's in a position where one wrong move might result in death, that's why she doesn't have an option except to obey Valen as she should, since his words leave no space for argument.