10 | Forgotten History

Valen breathed a sigh of relief as he reached the inside of his pocket on his uniform.

He prepared a small red purse with smaller jewels attached to the bow as a decoration for Aliciel before he went to her.

"Here."

Valen handed the red purse to her, however she arched a skeptical brow at it before returning her questioning gaze to him.

"What is it?"

"It's sweets."

Aliciel's face sank into a frown, and she breathed deeply in an annoyed manner.

"I don't want it. Please leave."

(Eh? She isn't fond of sweets?)

He blinked in surprise and laughed out of nowhere, thoroughly surprising her.

(Yet, what is this pleasant sensation?)

"Hahaha, you're really merciless! So, you want to reject these delicious sweets from the Crown Prince?"

"Your highness, why did you even ask when I already made it clear that I don't want it?"

She locked her gaze on his with sharp eyes, but Valen's smile remained unwavering, and he drew the small bag of sweets back.

"I understand, I understand~"

Although he was disappointed that she turned down his first gift for her.

That, however, inspires him to prepare a finer gift for her the next time.

"Then, I would appreciate it if I can continue my meal in peace."

She stated calmly, without a single smile on her face, that she was requesting him to leave in an indirect manner.

Valen chuckled as he placed the small bag of sweets back into his uniform's pocket, knowing she couldn't stand his presence.

"Then, Lady Aliciel, I hope we'll have the opportunity to meet again."

"Unfortunately, the feeling is not mutual."

"...right."

Valen felt as though her piercing words stabbed his heart, because he really wished to see her again.

Curiosity has always been a part of his personality. He wondered how Aliciel would behave if he broke down the thick walls she had built around herself.

He was determined to be the first one to do so.

***

Aliciel regrets how many books she chose because they are heavy to carry, but she continues to do so.

(Considering this, I believe I have a lot of subjects to study—)

"Please allow me to assist you."

Valen, who appeared before her and took half of the books she was carrying, caught her off guard and drew her back to reality, causing her eyes to widen in surprise.

"Your highness?"

"It looks heavy. I simply want to assist. Please don't say anything hurtful to me, it wounded my pitiful heart."

With a light smile on his face and his dazzling sapphire eyes on her, he cracked a joke.

He was partly serious when he said he would be affected if she continued to throw harsh words at him.

Aliciel didn't say anything back as a response and turned back her gaze to the books she was carrying.

They both walked over to the table and placed the books on top of it.