7 | Festival (2)

The day of the festival approached in the speed of light.

For the guests who were invited to the Evans Festival, all of the teachers prepared the things needed to be flawless.

Everything was in order thanks to the hard work of the people in the academy. The decorations were exquisite, all was of the highest quality, which was sure to impress the aristocracy in attendance.

Despite the fact that every student's family has been invited, some of them are unable to attend. But that was understandable, given how busy high-ranking aristocrats are.

"This is fun, don't you think?"

Valen grinned broadly and shifted his gaze toward his half-brother, who has his jet black hair and sapphire eyes similar to Valen.

"Right, Vilanc?"

He questioned casually to Vilanc d'Fyrst, the Fyrst Empire's second prince.

"I'm looking forward to seeing you at this school next year. Perhaps you could send another skilled assassin to assassinate me during that time."

Valen laughed as he joked despite the fact that it was factual, causing Vilanc's eyes to widen slightly, though it went unnoticed because he was bothered by Valen's bluntness.

After calming down, Vilanc turned his head and returned the smile, as he would not back down from such remarks from his half brother.

"Crown Prince, you shouldn't be joking about things like that. Everyone has eyes and ears, what if they were to misunderstand your words?"

Vilanc's eyes narrowed slightly, but his soft smile remained calm and composed.

"There's nothing to be misunderstood in the first place. All I'm saying is the truth."

"Hahaha, I can't deny that. By the way, who's performance are you waiting for?"

"No one in particular."

Valen answered to Vilanc's unexpected question, which was intended to change the conversation's topic.

While marveling at the gorgeous stage set for the musical performance, he rested his chin on his hand.

"How about you?"

"To be honest, lady Aliciel Blacker's performance has piqued my interest."

Vilanc replied lightly as Aliciel's name caught Valen's attention.

Valen is well aware that Vilanc mentioned her name on purpose to catch him off guard, as Vilanc was uninterested in Aliciel in the first place.

"Ah, now that I think about it, lady Blacker have a half-brother, correct?"

Valen flinched when Vilanc asked that question, knowing where the conversation is heading.

Vilanc is attempting to provoke Valen by bringing up their pathetic past and using Aliciel as an example.

"The news that the Duke remarried to a commoner and that both of them already have a son younger than Lady Blacker herself, therefore making her younger brother the new heir, don't you think it's ironic?"

Valen lowered his head and averted his gaze from Vilanc as he nonchalantly remarked.

"Vilanc, watch your tongue. Do you want to start a fight?"

Valen asked, his icy eyes directed toward Vilanc. Even though Valen's voice was low and intimidating, Vilanc continued to agitate Valen.

"Lady Blacker reminds me a lot of myself. Don't you think so, Crown Prince?"