Chapter 46: Tobias - Birth Day

A/N: Thank you to everyone who has reviewed, followed, and/or favorited! Thank you also to my wonderful beta reader, Rosalie - you help me out so much!

Chapter 46: Tobias — Birth Day (August 15, ten years after they first met; Tris is 26 and Tobias is 28)

The dream lingers, trying to keep me asleep, as the hand continues to shake my shoulder.

"Tobias."

Some kind of groan emerges from me.

"Tobias, wake up!"

There's an urgency in Tris' voice, and it's enough to finally push through the remaining layer of sleep that's fogging my brain.

"Hhmmuh?" I mumble, sitting up and looking at my wife in the low light. "What's wrong?"

"I think I'm in labor."

The words instantly dispel all grogginess. Turning to my nightstand, I flip on the lamp, blinking in the sudden brightness as I face Tris again. "Are you having contractions?"

She nods, biting her lip. It's so rare to see her afraid, but in this moment I can see the nerves threatening to strangle her. Abigail's due date is in two days, so we knew that Tris could go into labor at any time, but just because we've been expecting it doesn't mean it's not a frightening prospect — for both of us. If I'm honest, I'm just as worried as she looks, but she needs me to be strong right now, so I'm careful not to show it.

"Okay," I say steadily, "let's time them." Retrieving my watch, I get the timer ready and add, "Tell me when the next one starts."

She gives another nod, and I take her hand with my free one, lacing our fingers together. My thumb rubs gentle circles on the back of her hand, trying to soothe her — and maybe myself, too.

"Now," she gasps, her breathing quick as she stares at her distended abdomen. My eyes follow her gaze as I click the timer on, and I watch, mesmerized by the way her muscles tighten and hold, squeezing our daughter downward.

I see it end at the same time Tris indicates, and I make a mental note of the duration, though I keep the timer running. Part of me relaxes once five minutes have passed. At most, she's in early labor, so there's no need to rush her to the hospital yet.

"The next one started," she says shortly after the seven-minute point, and I stop the timer, holding the watch up so Tris can see it. "Dr. Martinez said to go in when they're four minutes apart," I remind her, "so let's just time a few more for now to see if they're consistent."

"Okay," she whispers, still looking a bit anxious. This is going to be a long day.

By the time we confirm that she's in early labor, and that she has no alarming symptoms, it's six o'clock in the morning. "Do you want to get some more sleep?" I ask, massaging her lower back the way I know she likes.

She shakes her head. "No. I'm too awake."

"Okay, then do you want to walk around? If you're uncomfortable, that might help."

"I know," she answers a bit irritably. "I took the same classes you did, Tobias." I don't respond, and after a second, she adds, "Sorry. I'm just nervous."

"It's okay." Leaning closer to her, I run my nose along her jaw before kissing just behind her ear. "Tell you what," I whisper, "you can yell at me all you want today. Bringing our baby into the world entitles you to that."

A small smile touches her mouth, and for the first time since she woke me up, she seems almost calm. "Let's go for a walk," she says.

——————————————————