Chapter 33: Tris - Choosing Day, Part 2

A/N: Thank you to everyone who reviewed the last chapter, and to Rosalie and BK2U, who both reviewed this chapter at different points in time! This chapter is short, but hopefully it's satisfying anyway.

Chapter 33: Tris – Choosing Day, Part 2

I have no idea how Tobias knew I would be here, or that his presence would be the perfect comfort at this moment. I didn't even decide to retrace my steps from two years ago until after he'd left for work, so I certainly didn't say anything about it to him.

But he seems to understand what I'm doing without being told, as he so often does. And he gives me a tour of Dauntless the same way he did my first day here.

"We're about to go into the Pit," he comments, trying hard to keep a straight face, "which you will someday learn to love."

On our original tour, Christina interrupted him at that point, and he snapped at her in response, but today I finally hear the rest of his planned talk.

"It is the center of activity in Dauntless. You will acquire faction clothing there, as well as any other supplies you need. It is also where the dining hall is located, along with most of the recreational activities."

He pushes the set of double doors open, and I follow him into the space. Even though it's much more familiar to me this time, I can't help but be awed anew by the sheer size of the cavern. It hasn't changed much, and I watch as people race along the narrow paths that are carved into the rock walls. Their energy is palpable in the air.

After a while, Tobias continues. "If you follow me, I'll show you the chasm."

We walk over to it, barely noticed by the Dauntless who are wandering the Pit, going about their daily business now that there is no longer an initiate class to greet.

"The chasm reminds us that there is a fine line between bravery and idiocy," Tobias begins, but then his words falter, and he stops. It's easy to tell why – he's thinking of the times that line was crossed during my initiation. When Peter, Drew, and Al tried to throw me over the railing, and when Al ended his life here shortly after that.

His eyes meet mine, and I take his hand, moving close enough for him to hear me over the roaring of the water.

"I think that's enough reliving of old events," I tell him. He nods, and we both turn silently toward the chasm, leaning on the railing as we look at the water striking the wall and the river far below us.

There are so many memories associated with this place. Tobias saved my life here. At the time, I thought that would be the only instance when I would need that kind of help, but now I realize that he saved me once even before that, by hiding my Divergence. And he's certainly saved me many times since.

We kissed for the first time by the river below us. In my mind, I picture Will and Christina and myself throwing papers from here, before I followed Tobias up to his fear landscape. That was when I learned his real name – and just how much we had in common.

I can't imagine my life if I had never met him. Turning toward him again, I look into those deep blue eyes, and I realize that I can't imagine a future without him, either.

"Tobias, will you marry me?"

The words come out on their own, but I know they're right. I want to spend the rest of my life with him, and I'm fairly sure that he's been thinking the same thing. There's been a look in his eyes at times, as if he was about to ask me. And I don't want to wait any longer for something we both want.

My certainty disappears when I see his reaction. He stares at me, frozen, as if he has no idea whatsoever how to respond.

"Just like that?" he finally asks, his voice strained. "No planning, or figuring out the right way to ask? No speech…. Do you even have a ring?"