Chapter 32: Tris - Choosing Day, Part 1

A/N: Thank you to everyone who reviewed the last chapter - you seriously make my day with your comments! Thank you also to Rosalie and BK2U, who both kindly helped me with this chapter at different points in its lifecycle.

This either had to be one long chapter or two short ones, so I opted to split it. On the bright side, that means you get this piece sooner. :-)

Chapter 32: Tris – Choosing Day, Part 1

Most of the time, we stay in Tobias' apartment. As a corner unit, it's more private, and I suppose we feel more at home there, since it's where we were first together that way.

But we stayed in my apartment last night, so that's where we are when I wake up the morning of Choosing Day. Not that it's called by that name anymore. People can join and change factions at any time now, so there's no longer a day when all sixteen-year-olds make a choice that controls the rest of their lives.

Still, this day will always have special meaning for me, and as I sit up sluggishly, feeling Tobias stir beside me, I find myself remembering how this day started for me two years ago. That was the last time I woke up in the same house as my parents and brother. It was the last time we were all together as a family.

Heat starts behind my eyes at the thought, but I blink it away as I reach for the photo album that I still keep by the bed. The incredible gift that Tobias made for me during our year apart.

As I do so often, I flip slowly through the pages, lingering on each image of my parents. I wish there was a picture of them together, or of our whole family, but no matter how much Tobias searched, he wasn't able to find that. Nevertheless, I am so grateful to be able to look at their photos at all, since I had none before Tobias tracked these down.

My fingers are lightly tracing my father's face when Tobias sits up groggily beside me. I don't look at him, knowing that there are still tears in my eyes, but I'm sure he knows how I'm feeling, anyway. Silently, he wraps an arm around my waist, holding me close as he looks at the image with me.

"Did you ever meet my father?" I ask softly, speaking past the thickness in my throat. It's been so long since I saw Dad alive.

"No," Tobias murmurs, pulling me even closer in a comforting gesture. "I saw him sometimes, but we never talked. I wish we had."

I nod, letting the tears trickle slowly down my face now. "He was a good father. A good person."

Tobias brushes his free hand gently over my hair. It's meant as a soothing gesture, but it reminds me so much of Dad that it's painful.

"He would have liked you," I manage to whisper.

My boyfriend leans in, kissing me gently on the cheek.

"Did your mother?" he asks softly, his lips right by my ear. "When we met on Visiting Day?"

A low chuckle comes out of me despite the tears. "She thought you were handsome."

I can feel him smile against my skin. "That doesn't really answer my question."

"She didn't say much else about you." I turn a page in my album so I can gaze at her face. "But yes, I think she liked you."

We're silent for a moment as we both look at the photo in front of us.

"Do you think there's anything after this life?" I ask quietly.

Tobias hesitates, holding me close to him as he considers his answer. "Yes," he finally says. "I do. I wasn't sure for a long time, but now…I feel that way."