Chapter 21: Christina - Voting

A/N: Thank you to everyone who reviewed the last chapter already! I was so happy to get all those responses in just a day. Thank you also to my wonderful beta reader, Rosalie!

Judging by some reviews, it seems that there are still people reading this who haven't read "Determinant" yet. This story will make far more sense if you read that one first, so please go check it out. Seriously. If you read much further in here, you'll really spoil "Determinant," so go read it first. I mean it...

Anyway, as promised, here's the next chapter just a day after the last one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 21: Christina – Voting

My inner Candor says to lay Tris' request on the table, in front of everyone at once. It's hard to know how Four will react, but this isn't just his decision. And talking to him in advance would imply that it is.

So, as we're all finishing dinner, I ask that we hold a faction meeting afterwards. People want to know why, of course, but for once I seal my lips and say they'll find out soon enough. Maybe I'm finally learning when not to blurt everything out.

The rest of us migrate to the gathering room while Uriah and Zeke take care of the dishes. It's really just Zeke's turn, but Uriah must owe him some kind of favor, because he helps without being asked.

While we wait, Shauna and Cara discuss an experiment that Erudite is doing on stimulating nerve endings. Apparently, it holds promise that Shauna could regain feeling in her lower body – and potentially some level of movement, though Cara is careful to say that it probably wouldn't be enough to let her walk again. I'm glad to see that caveat right up front; I never like it when people hold out false hope.

George chimes in periodically, and his helpful comments remind me that he has an aptitude for Erudite along with Dauntless. I try not to think in those terms anymore, since our faction focuses on continuous self-improvement in all areas, not just our natural strengths, but old habits die hard.

It takes a while for Zeke and Uriah to finally join us, finishing up their conversation as they enter the room.

"I'm telling you – it's yellow," Uriah says as he plops onto the couch between me and Cara.

Zeke just shakes his head as he sits at the end of the second couch, closest to where Shauna perches in her wheelchair. "We'll go look tomorrow, but if I'm right, you're buying cake on the way back."

Uriah opens his mouth to answer, but I clear my throat to get their attention and smile when they turn to me. It's time to begin.

"Okay, I'm just going to be blunt here," I start. Half the group smirks, and I know that doesn't exactly shock them. "Tris is planning to move back to the city in a month or two, and she has asked about the possibility of living here."

Four looks up sharply at the mention of his ex's name, and I study his expression to see what he's feeling. He's gotten a lot better at communicating over the last few months, but he still rarely admits to his emotions at the moment he feels them. Fortunately, I've gotten good at reading his poker face.

Right now, I see plenty of determination, with perhaps a trace of fear and definitely an edge of raw hope. I don't know if I should crush it or not, since it's difficult to say just what Tris wants when it comes to him. I don't think she knows, herself.