Chapter 30: Tobias - Therapy

A/N: Thank you so much to everyone who reviewed the last chapter! I really appreciate the feedback. Thank you also to my wonderful beta reader, Rosalie!

Chapter 30: Tobias – Therapy

Amar is clearly getting bored with his therapy sessions. He only gets two of them a week now – a Dauntless one with me and an Erudite one with George – but lately he's started complaining about them.

"Can't we work on Candor, or Abnegation?" he asks in frustration as he sits down in the reclining chair. "I mean, I know Amity is out, but I've kind of had it with the other two."

Instinctively, I shake my head. "We should really keep reinforcing the Dauntless pathways," I tell him somewhat apologetically. After all, that's his other main aptitude besides Amity, so it's the one that most actively counters the Amity part of his brain that's still on overdrive. "But we could alternate the Erudite sessions with something else."

He sighs, running a hand through his hair and not meeting my eyes. And I know that something else is bothering him.

"What is it?" I ask, turning to face him fully and waiting for him to look at me.

He still doesn't as he speaks. "Don't take this the wrong way, Four. You're a good friend. You always have been. And I really appreciate everything you've done for me." He pauses, clearly uncomfortable. "But I'm tired of seeing your thoughts."

That's not an easy comment to answer. I've been doing these sessions from the beginning, since it was my broadcast that caused his brain damage in the first place, and Cara felt I was the best person to reverse it. And there's no way to deny that the therapy has helped him. But I certainly can't blame him for being sick of it by now. I certainly am, though I would never admit that – I don't want him to ever feel like he's a burden. Especially not when I'm the one who did this to him.

"Would you be offended if Tris did some of the sessions?" Amar asks, his voice an interesting mix of hope and guilt.

For a second, I simply stare at him, shocked that the idea never occurred to me. Of course Tris should try this. She was incredibly good at the broadcasts we practiced in the bomb shelter at the start of our mission, so I know she can do it. And Amar is particularly sensitive to her, since my broadcast made him see her as a role model. How could I possibly have missed this for the last seven months?

I guess I just always assumed this was my duty alone.

"That's a stunningly good idea," I remark. Amar's eyes finally rise to mine, and he grins sheepishly as I add, "I guess your Erudite sessions have been paying off."

"She's home now, right?" he asks hopefully. "How about I go ask her?"

But I shake my head again. "She'll have to observe at least one session and practice with me a bit first, so she won't be able to do today's. She could watch, though, if you're willing?" At his enthusiastic nod, I add, "Okay, let me go get her."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

It's no surprise that Tris is receptive to the idea. Cara isn't here right now to run it past her, but I doubt she'll object – and today will just be an observation anyway. So, I lead Tris into the room and connect another set of receiving wires to the computer for her.

She looks at the setup more warily than I would have expected, given she never used the real broadcasting equipment, the way I had to. We only ever practiced with this equipment, back when it was in the bomb shelter. I don't know why that would make her uneasy.