Chapter 13: Anna - Incident

A/N: I'm sorry this chapter is a day late. I had to write it along with the next three in order to iron out the flow of events properly. On the bright side, that means it won't be nearly as long before I post the next one.

As always, thank you to everyone who reviewed the last chapter! I know I say this a lot, but I really, really appreciate your feedback and support. You always keep me going when it's hard to find time to write.

Thank you also to Rosalie and BarbaraK2U, who both reviewed this chapter at different points in time while I was trying to get it to work with the following ones. You're both fantastic!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 13: Anna – Incident

Tris is clearly delighted to see me. It's obvious from the worn expression on her face and the way she hugs me for an extra-long time that she's had a rough week and missed having her grandmother around. Perhaps it will help to deliver some good news.

"Chicago is officially part of the UCA," I tell her triumphantly.

"Finally," she breathes out in relief. "I was about to send Christina to knock some sense into Evelyn."

Judging by how she bites her lip, she immediately thinks better of the words. And it's no wonder, given how often Marcus apparently attempted to do exactly that.

"I didn't mean it that way," she says quickly.

"I know." I place a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "Trust me, I understand. The negotiations were long and frustrating, and Evelyn was certainly not a joy to work with. But in the end, she led the city leaders in the vote, and it was unanimous."

"With no other modifications to the deal?" Tris asks skeptically.

"None, thank God. I couldn't have handled a sixth trip."

She chuckles, looking at me warmly. "Thank you again for doing that," she says after a moment. "It was important to me."

I nod in acknowledgement before admitting, "Actually, I'm glad you were so insistent on it. I would have given up earlier if you hadn't been, but it's much better that they'll be part of our country."

The words are true, but they seem to make her more thoughtful than happy. "I hope so," she murmurs, looking away as if she's debating adding something else.

For once, I have no idea what's going through her head. I consider asking, but instead I decide to give her some time. After a little while, she continues on her own.

"I've been thinking about moving back there," she comments, her voice careful. "After the new government is in place, and they don't need me anymore. It…would be nice, I think."

"I always assumed that you would," I respond, wondering what she isn't saying. She's hiding something behind that tone.

"I probably will, too," I add, "though I'm not sure exactly where within the city. The bomb shelter is closed now, and the Dauntless compound would be rather hard to navigate at my age." My lips curve upwards at the admission. "Maybe I'll return to my roots and live in Abnegation."

An answering smile forms on her face – the type we both grew up seeing. Small, with no teeth showing. It makes me rethink my answer. I'm not sure I want to spend the rest of my life looking at nothing but a polite veneer.

"Personally," Tris says, her voice sounding nervous, "I was thinking of living in Christina's faction."

My eyebrow lifts on its own as I suddenly understand her hesitation. The last I knew, Christina lived in Tobias' Kaizen faction. So, she's basically admitting that she wants to be near him again.