One-shot :)

So...I know I haven't really touched this fic ever since I ended it in, what, 2019? But recently I've gotten pretty bored and I didn't have an idea about what to write, so I basically made a songfic based on Moral of the Story by Ashe because it's a very lovely and lulling song. 

So, I originally posted this on Archive of Our Own (AO3) because I've been more active there of late. It's kind of a fic where it takes the events of the movie and tweaks it, inserting/changing characters and reframing the direction of the movie. It's about 16k words, far too long for a short story, but ahaha nope.

So I'm just going to list out the elements of this story in a format similar to AO3's tag system.

Title: some mistakes get made (that's alright, that's okay)

Rating: General Audiences

Language: Eeeeenglish (UK)

Fandom(s): Maleficent (Disney) (I mean, obviously?)

Ships: Aurora & Maleficent, Diaval & Maleficent, OC child & Maleficent, Past Stefan/Maleficent, Eventual Diaval/Maleficent

Other tags include:
Mother-Daughter Relationship;
Bittersweet;
Hurt/Comfort;
Emotional Hurt/Comfort;
Emotional Baggage;
Maternal Instinct;
Parent Maleficent (Disney);
Eventual Romance;
Eventual Happy Ending;
Eventual Fluff;
Eventual Relationships;
Eventual Maleficent/Diaval;
Minor Diaval/Maleficent (Disney)

Characters:
• Maleficent
• Aurora
• Diaval
• Vespera (OC daughter of Maleficent/Stefan)
• Stefan
• The three meddlesome useless fairies (Knotgrass Thistlewit and Flittle)

Word count (excluding this whole front part):
15800 ~ 16000 (because every source tells me a different number like wha-???)

Also self promo because yes:
My account is z18m9 on AO3, I write mainly Maleficent stories across different fandoms that have Maleficent in it. Taking requests so feel free to Wattpad DM me :)

So that's about it, and please enjoy this songfic!

NOTE: This version is copy-pasted from my google document, for the more fine-tuned version please visit my AO3 one, thank you!

𝄞 ♫ ♪

Some mistakes get made, that's alright, that's okay,

You can think that you're in love...

When you're really just in pain.

No one dares to look at her. She can imagine sneers and snide whispers among them, and what more is that pain, when they all join together to form that sword that cleaves through her heart, the blade that leaves behind flightless dreams and shattered hopes?

Should've seen the signs.

The trees sigh, and pity brushes against her skin — warmth that she doesn't want to accept — when she picks up one among the many of their fallen limbs. Instead she saps it away from them, sympathy and life alike, leaving them as cold gnarled knots that twist into what she truly needs: support, mindless support that will not see her with pity or reproachfulness, a nothingness that will not offer her advice she does not want.