Chapter 9

"Maleficent, I made us a wedding gift." Diaval muttered, nudging the gift covered by a layer of silk, and Maleficent yawned, stretching out her arms and wings as she tilted her head, "Oh? What is it?" Gently pinching the fabric of the silk, Diaval pulled away the silk, and beneath the silk sat a nest.

It was quite roomy, and the branches were all carefully bent in the way that they were solid and made a perfect frame for the nest. Under the silver moonlight, Maleficent saw hundreds of shed feathers all tucked neatly and lining the interior of the nest, more than enough to make it warm and cosy even during the winter.

"Diaval..." Maleficent gasped, unsure of what to say, and she slowly bent down to feel the smooth texture of the branches. "It's perfect. Just like you." Maleficent wrapped her hand around his cheek and pulled him into a kiss. "This way, you don't have to sleep on the rock hard floor with nothing but your wings anymore." Diaval muttered, and Maleficent understood his thoughtfulness.

Yawning again, Maleficent could hardly open one eye anymore as she almost fell asleep, and Diaval caught her just in time before she hit the ground. "You're tired." Diaval stated, tucking her into the nest, and with a tug of his collar, she pulled him down to her too, before promptly falling asleep.

Looking at her peaceful face, Diaval smiled, brushing a loose strand of hair to tuck it behind her ears, and he planted a kiss on her cheek, "Good night, My Mistress."

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

"Maleficent, I was thinking..." Diaval pondered if he should tell her, and Maleficent frowned, "What is it, Diaval?" "Do you want fledglings?" Diaval blurted, his face turning red the instant he said it, and Maleficent paused, staring at Diaval.

"I don't know...I don't think I'm ready." Maleficent bit down on her lip, unsure about what she felt. Unsure of what she wanted. But the answer was simple enough. She wanted a family with Diaval, in peace, away from chaos. That was what she wanted.

"It's okay, we can always wait." Diaval sounded a bit disappointed, absently stroking Maleficent's hair when she suddenly locked eyes with him. She could see the love in his eyes, and Maleficent knew, that she no longer had anything to fear. No longer needed to fear get too intimate with a man.

Slowly, she kissed him, her tongue snaking into his mouth, and she shrugged off the fur-lined coat she had been wearing, exposing her bare shoulders to Diaval. Taking a deep breath, Maleficent winked at Diaval at last, "I'm ready."

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇