Chapter 2

The next day, upon returning to the cave, Diaval realised that Maleficent was nowhere to be found. The cave was empty, and it lacked life from its usually already dreary self. "Mistress?" Diaval called, but there was no response.

Flipping the things around the cave, Diaval found no traces of notes or anything that might've revealed her sudden disappearance's whereabouts or reason, and Diaval began to get worried, concern lacing with his thoughts. "What if she was attacked?!" Diaval thought, and he began to shift into a raven, taking to the skies.

The first thing he did was to soar above the clouds, no matter whether there wasn't enough oxygen for his tiny brain, no matter whether he might black out from lack of oxygen, no matter whether he might even be able to find her.

And it actually worked. Because not too far away, he saw the familiar two horns and hip length ebony hair. The two shining green eyes that looked towards his direction. With a relieved "ark", Diaval wanted to fly over to her, but alas, he could only last this long without much oxygen, and he lost consciousness as his tiny black body slowly plunged beneath the clouds.

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

"Beasie, surely he will wake up, won't he?" Maleficent's voice drifted into the room, and she was evidently frustrated as huge torrents of wind flooded the room, the rustling of her feathers uneasy and rushed as they shuffled and dragged along the floor.

"Godmother, I've already gotten the doctors to check, it's just a minor problem because he lacked some oxygen. Nothing else." Aurora reassured Maleficent, who gave a long, hard stare at Diaval, as though willing him to stand up and smile, saying that all was fine and prove that Beastie was right.

"But how did this even happen?" Aurora's curiosity got the better of her, and Maleficent chewed on the inside of her lower lip, "Well, I went for a morning flight, but some of the young Dark Fae were messing with the clouds to make it rain on some other fairies, so I took a longer time while trying to stop them, and this silly bird came flying up above his body's tolerance and fainted in mid air."

"Godmother, he was just caring for you, that's all." Maleficent pursed her lips upon hearing what Aurora said, and she uncomfortably shifted her wings, "I don't need others to care for me. Nor have I been cared for by others." "Godmother, he obviously cares for you. Don't pretend you can't feel the care. It's practically overflowing." Aurora snorted, and Maleficent was speechless.

Yes, indeed, she knew he cared for her, she knew he felt something towards her, and she also knew she probably felt something for him. But she didn't want to face it. He may have been her loyal companion, her only friend throughout all those lonely years, but that was where it ended, Maleficent told herself.

"Mistress..." Diaval slowly woke up, squinting, and when he saw the familiar huge black wings, relief flooded over him. At least she was safe. "What's happening to me? Am I dying?" Diaval dramatically looked around, and Aurora giggled, "Diaval, don't be silly. You're alright."

Maleficent, however, had an unreadable expression, and Diaval looked closely at her face. Was it anger he saw? Or was it worry? Perhaps, conflicted emotions? For once, those big, green eyes were completely unpredictable, and Diaval found himself looking at just how beautiful her eyes were, instead of focusing on the current matters on hand.

"Diaval. Godmother asked you something." Aurora nudged him, and Diaval snapped out of his dream-like state, pretending to be composed even as his heart was literally jumping all around his chest. "Hmm?" Diaval looked to Aurora for her to repeat what had been asked, and she said, "Godmother asked if you were feeling better. Less light-headed."

"As fine as a bird could be after losing consciousness." Diaval replied, making Maleficent roll her eyes, "It's not as though I let you bonk your head as I did. Don't be so overly exaggerating." "Oh, right." Diaval looked away sheepishly, and the room began to build up an awkward tension……

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇