Chapter 1

Furling up her wings, Maleficent perched on the cliff of her cave, with the colourful overview of the entire Moors. The liveliness had returned, the overhanging gloom of humans now gone, and she smiled as many of the fairies and sprites came home to the Moors.

"Ark!" Diaval landed behind her, and she twisted her fingers, still back facing him as she heard the rustling sounds of him changing back into a man. "She's gone now." Diaval stood up, brushing the dirt off himself with one hand, and the raven headed staff was resting neatly in the other.

"What's this for, Mistress?" Diaval waved the stick around, and nothing happened. "That's not how you use a magical staff, you silly bird." Maleficent gave him a pointed look, and Diaval stopped waving it about. "Pardon me, Mistress, but how do you actually use one, then?" Diaval handed her the staff, and she raised her eyebrow at him.

"Or actually, never mind. It's not mine anyway, so why should I learn how to use a staff?" Diaval muttered, looking around the cave to put it down when Maleficent spoke sharply, "Diaval, what makes you think that it isn't yours?" "I don't know...I mean, I'm just a servant to be shifted into anything at your will, and nothing else. My life is yours." Diaval shot back, and Maleficent kept silent.

"Is that really what you think? For all these years as my loyal companion?" Maleficent finally spoke up again, and Diaval realised he had said something wrong. "No matter then, I suppose I shouldn't give you that staff just yet." Maleficent shrugged, and she almost away from the cliff when Diaval called after her, "Aren't you going to shift me back?"

Turning around, Maleficent smiled wickedly, "Oh, no. I'm going to disappear and leave you in this human form forever."

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

"Diaval?" Maleficent called out, knowing that he wouldn't be asleep at this timing. "Yes Mistress?" Diaval came stumbling towards her, almost in a desperate way, and she laughed silently to herself as the silver moonlight shone brightly on the both of them.

"Bring the staff here." Maleficent signalled, and Diaval handed over the staff with the onyx gem that was oddly similar to his eyes, and the crow skull keeping the gem within its cage. "This belongs to you, Diaval." Maleficent said after much thought, gently brushing over the staff, and Diaval graciously accepted it.

"It gives you, and only you, the power of free shifting. I'm sure you know how I do it everytime, don't you? Try it." Maleficent continued to look at the moon, Diaval not far behind her, and without hesitation he shifted into a raven once more, cawing as he regained his original form.

Without a backward glance, Diaval flew away, exploring his new skill, not knowing that a silent tear flowed down Maleficent's cheek behind him, her face hidden into the shadows, far from the silver moonlight's reach.

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇