chapter 4 - Bonesborough Tour

the next day, Luz and Hunter were taken on a tour of the city. Eda of course was skeptical of her surroundings as they walked. they had already been to the Night-Market early this morning (which Hunter was not surprised to be shown) and city square. Luz begged Eda to take them to a library. Eda and Hunter groaned. Hunter loved libraries and bookstores almost as much as Luz did but the keyword was almost. 

whilst in the library, Eda went off to try and con someone and Hunter went off into the history section and Luz went off into the fiction section. Luz got so encharmed in the books and their smell, she didn't realize where she was going. she bumped into someone, immediately apologizing as they made contact. the person groaned and muttered harsh things under her breath and as Luz tried to help, she pushed her away.  

"watch where you're going, won't you?" 

"sorry about that," Luz blushed, getting to see the features of this girl. she was taller than Luz, not much taller but she was taller, and her skin was fair. and though the roots of her hair were beginning to show, her green dye was still perfect. well, at least to Luz. 

"i'm Luz by the way" Luz stuck her hand out for the girl to shake it but the girl ignored her and went back to sorting books. "ok. so, uh do you work here?" the girl sighed and turned to Luz

"listen Luz, or whatever your name is, i don't need any distractions right now, so maybe touch grass or something" 

"oh ok, sorry about that" Luz muttered, rolling her eyes "chica blanca básica. chica emo con el culo deprimido" 

...

"oh come on, i swear i'm not trying to sell a cheaper less interesting book i found on the shores to that kid" 

"is that Eda?" Luz saw Eda being dragged out of the library. Hunter who was standing next to her, sighed 

"let's go" he said. once outside Hunter said, sighing "one day you're going to get banned from the library" and Eda responded with "oh, i already am. come on kids" 

"ay dios" 

...

"hola amores, how was your day?"  Luz and Hunter sighed heavily as they both flopped onto the couch. Luz was on a video call with Camila who was busy driving. unfortunately she had to leave early that morning because of work but she promised to come visit them and vice versa. 

"it was fun" Luz said 

"except for the time Eda almost got us arrested" Hunter added 

"or the time she had us running from one of her exes" 

"ew, Eda apparently has low standards" Hunter cringed and Eda had just come back from the kitchen, apple blood in hand and wearing fluffy slippers

"says the guy who dated Thomas" Eda retorted. she went on to sit on her armchair, which Hunter is convinced she stole

"ah don't remind me" 

"i'm a bit concerned but sounds like you had fun" Camila smiled "¡Oye! Sal de la carretera, idiota" 

"que pasa mama?" Luz asked 

"just some idiot on the road, he's just standing there, holding up traffic" 

"kick 'em in the nutsacks" Eda commented

"tell Eda i will only be doing that as a last resort"

"i'm fine with that" Eda shrugged. all was well, they laughed as Camila raged on about the man on the road and then, crashing sounds

"¿¡Mamá!?" Luz called out. silence

"Mom?" Hunter said quieter 

"what happened?" Eda asked. Hunter began to panic. and Luz could barely move. if anything happened to their mother...

"i- i don't know?" 

"come on," she said "we're going back to Hartford" 

"what? how?" 

"plane, duh, let's go"