Chapter One: The Start

Samantha was in her bedroom lying on her bed text messaging Jasmine as she normally did, and as it was a sweltering day her bedroom window was wide open. School started back the next day so she was planning to meet up with Jasmine in the morning so they could go in together, obviously to miss all the attention. As she lay, Samantha's red hair was laid out behind her head on the pillow and her delicate green eyes almost glittered like emeralds in the sun. Her beauty was her biggest problem in more than most cases.

The boys at school would crowd around her and Jasmine at lunchtime and try and get her attention by promising her things that she knew they could never get her. Even at 15 she knew that. It would annoy her the way they would all pester her. She never wore an extremely short skirt like most girls did. And her school shirt was never unbuttoned one button too low like Jasmine's was. Yet she was the one with all the unwanted attention. But she never let it show, she would flounce away with a smile on her face laughing as she went just to shrug it off, or at least make it look like she was .

"Samantha!" Her Mother called. "Come downstairs for your dinner in the kitchen!" Samantha lived in the biggest house in the village. Rosewood Mansions. Everyone envied her and wished they could live there and people were even sick enough to pretend to be her friend just so that they could see the inside her home and be invited to sleepovers and parties. Samantha knew all these things, but she pretended not to care, it made her feel better. She went downstairs, pausing at the bottom to check her phone, still message-less before putting it in her pocket and walking down the corridor to the kitchen. The cook was in the kitchen preparing the desert while her Mother, Cathy, her big sister who was 26 and Jonathan who was 17 were eating. Her father must have been working late again.

She sat down quietly as her Mother eyed her evilly, eyes narrowing like a cats as they surveyed her with a look of distaste. "What the hell are you wearing?" She asked  spitting each word out as if they were on fire. Samantha looked down clearly irritated. She wished her Mother wouldn't take out the anger she had for her father out on her. She looked up rebelliously. "You bought this for me Mother. Remember?" She looked at her with the hate she had for her clearly written on her face. Her Mother gasped, and then put on one of her false sweet smiles. The kind that made Samantha's stomach go all queasy, and made her sick to the bone. "Sorry Sweetheart". She said in that sugar voice she had, trying to scrub out her mistake and hold her temper at the same time. "I forgot, eat up now" She said patting her on the back. Samantha flinched away and began to eat her food. She finished eating quickly as she wasn't normally that hungry and didn't really eat a lot, something she had inherited from her Father; or so he liked to think, but that's not what his protruding stomach said. After she finished she went upstairs to prepare for bed.

When she had finished in her bath, she came back to her room to find Jonathan sitting on her bed waiting for her. Samantha sighed and went into her wardrobe. Jonathan was not her real brother. They had taken him in off the street when he was a mere baby. And they had never regretted it. So here he sat. "You looked beautiful today" He said smiling at her. Samantha just sighed. "Thanks". She fastened the string on her nightgown and came out her wardrobe. She sat at her dressing table and began to brush her hair for bed. He continued to talk. "When are you going to come and see me again?" He asked her. "I miss you" She smiled slightly. She enjoyed playing hard to get after giving boys a taster. "Maybe tonight". It slipped out. Don't get it wrong. She liked Jonathan, but that's just how she was. Samantha walked over and sat next to him on the bed. Then he held her hands and looked deep into her eyes. "We can't do this now" She mumbled looking down. He put his hand under her chin and pulled it up so she could look at him. Then he leaned in very slowly and kissed her. Her hands somehow found their way into his hair and held on with no sign of letting go. He pulled her round onto his lap and she wrapped her legs around his waist. The he lay down. She loved him so much she didn't have the heart to tell him that they were going to far, and taking way too much of a risk, until they suddenly heard their mother coming up the hallway. Samantha jumped up quickly and ran back into her walk in wardrobe pretending to be dressing whilst Jonathan fixed his hair and they talked as if they had been the whole time. Her Mother opened the door and looked in. "What are you doing in here Jonathan?" She asked looking at him with narrowed eyes.