Chapter Twenty-Six : Liar

Samantha sighed with resignation as her eyes fluttered open some moments later, her heart still racing with the shock. She looked at Nathaniel long and hard, trying to search his face for some sort of answer but finding none. His face with passive. With what, she didn't know. He continued to stare at her for some time, not moving his eyes, not blinking. 

It had appeared that he had stopped the car and parked along the side of the road whilst Samantha had been unaware. She looked around with a tad of confusion a little unsure of how to start. 
"I'm not afraid of telling you what happened," She sighed out gently, her voice was small. "I just don't know how to begin". 

Samantha took a moment to breathe. She was still unsure of how Nathaniel would react when she told him the rest of this story. She didn't know if he would still love her. He could have been like one of those mindless unhinged men who couldn't handle stress. He could put the car into drive and them speed them over a thundering cliff... She knew she was being ridiculous, but she couldn't help-

"Samantha?" Nathaniel asked becoming clearly impatient. It was beginning to be quite obvious that he couldn't tolerate drama for sure. Strictly a music man.

She knew she had to finish what she had started. So she continued.

"I wore my red suit, the one I usually save for big shows. Mainly because he liked it, and I didn't want him to get angry while I was there."

"Can you just get to the point please Samantha?!" Nathaniel banged the steering wheel, his eyes clouding with tears. Samantha's heart lurched furiously as if he had struck her, the pain reverberating through her chest. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She could feel the sweat on the back of her neck, was it really that warm?

"He opened the door and let me into the office... One moment we were talking, and I was telling him how you and I wanted to cancel our contracts immediately. He said that the contracts had an quota that we had to meet, and we hadn't met it. But I wanted out, and I would never beg him."

Samantha began to cry, she ran her hands through her hair. She needed water, she needed to get away from the car. She couldn't break Nathaniel's heart like this, not when she loved him so much. He would never understand that she had done what she did for him, because there was no other way.

"It wasn't planned. I swear. At the time he made it seem as though that were the only way. And I didn't know what else to do. I wanted to marry you and start my new life with you and I knew that if I didn't give him what he wanted then he would never leave us alone. Please believe me Nathaniel. I love you. I swear".

Nathaniel sat planted in the chair just staring ahead. Cars whizzed by on the motorway, the sun was still warm above them and the sky was still blue. But in the car it could have been a Canadian winter.

He was silent for a long time before placing a hand on Samantha's shoulder. He finally turned and looked her in the face.

"Samantha, I need to think about this for a little while."

He looked around desperately for a moment before looking at her again. His eyes were crazy.

He put his hands on either side of her face and pulled her in, kissing her harder than she could ever remember him kissing her. Then he moved away from her so fast it could have been a dream.

"Could you get out of the car for a moment sweetheart?" He turned to look at her.

Samantha looked at him confused for a moment but he smiled and simply said,

"I think I can hear a bee buzzing around in the car, and I don't want it to sting you."

Samantha smiled, and kissed him quickly.