Chapter Twenty-Five: Young And Beautiful

Dominic sat in his office with his head bowed in his hands. He just could not accept that she was gone. For good. He'd never wanted to drive her away, he'd never wanted much in his life. He just wanted Samantha to love him. He got up and walked slowly, with the tiredness of an old man, to the large dominating window at the back of his office. He was so high up, he could see the small dots that were people, living their everyday lives. As he was so high up naturally he was supposed to feel like a god of the world. But he so empty and useless that he felt it would be blasphemy to even consider that he could be the likes of a god, any god at all. It was just by chance then that the phone rang. He didn't even want to hear it, let alone answer it. But he had to remember his professionalism. He walked back over to his desk, slumped down in the wide leather chair, and picked up the receiver, just about getting it to his ear in time to hear the small murmured hello.

"Dominic Milner speaking". His voice came out in a small rush. It seemed he had lost all of his confidence. He wiped his face with his palm, resting it on his mouth. Almost like he was silencing himself. "Hello. My name is Jonathan Rosewood. I was hoping you would know how I would be able to contact Samantha Isabella Rosewood? It says she's signed to your company at the moment"

Dominic's air came out in a gust, as if he had just been punched in the stomach. This was the same stupid boy that he had spent the whole first year after signing Samantha trying to get rid of, and hadn't been able to locate. He saw this as his one final opportunity.

"There is no Samantha Isabella Rosewood signed to this company. And even if she was I doubt she would want to ever see you again." He was letting his old bitter jealousy get the better of him. It could have only have been bitterness that was making him damage Samantha's relationship with her adopted brother slash lover. There was a bit of a pause on the line before Jonathan decided to reply.

"Excuse me? I'm sorry, how would you know anything about that if you didn't know her. Plus I did see you at that pathetically expensive launch party you took her to, so I know you know her. Can you just tell me where she is please?" Dominic thumbed the file containing Nathaniel's address and then let it go and closed back the draw.

"I'm sorry, but even if I told you where she was you wouldn't want to know her anymore I promise you. Samantha has moved on. Really moved on. And I don't think it would be wise for you to intervene on her happiness now." He didn't even have any intention of trying to hurt the child, or wanting to. He was just being honest.

"I get it. She's met another 'fella right? Don't worry, I won't ruin her happiness. I just want to see her and know she's alive, happy and well"

Dominic didn't let him continue. He simply said

"I can assure you. Samantha is very much happy where she is. And does not want to hear from you."

He felt bad. But it was the only thing he could do to let Samantha know that she had killed him slowly from the very beginning.  

"Well thank you for your time Mr Milner" Jonathan said. Careful to make clear the heavy sarcasm he wanted to get across.

"No trouble at all" Nathaniel replied with the same dead tone.

And the line went dead.

-

Samantha was lying on a sun bed, on the extremely large balcony that ran along the front of Nathaniel's house. It was reasonably warm. And with the sunglasses and large sun hat that Samantha had on her head the heat didn't seem to bother her. She was deep in thought.

It had been two months since she and Nathaniel had given up their contracts and left Milner Records. A whole two months, and nothing had happened. She knew it was silly to think that way, a lot had happened. Nathaniel had been offered a position on a university teaching course. She had been lucky enough to find a place as a chief nanny at a rather large private boarding school. A school not very far from the beautiful country house that her and Nathaniel had just bought and fitted a fair way away from London.