15.

IT WAS nighttime, but it was hard to tell with the lack of sun here. Mal had gone out to 'Curl Up and Dye', to get her hair done, meanwhile I was walking around the alleys, reliving my life from six months ago. I wore my hood over my head, to cover my face. We weren't very popular here with how much we used to steal and now that everyone was jealous and angry that we got to go Auradon unlike themselves.

I was in the market, looking around when I heard humming and then the voice of Gil. I hadn't noticed but he was here. I tried to turn my head to see him while still hiding my identity.

"Hey, man. Hey." Suddenly I saw Gil bumping into Ben. What the hell was he doing here!? Then, like a cherry on top, Evie, Jay and Carlos came over, acting as if they didn't know the son of Gaston.

"Hey, I know you." Gil continued as I glanced quickly at Carlos. He was already staring at me in confusion, probably examining if he knew me or not.

I quickly scratched my arm, acting casual, before walking back to the apartment to tell Mal, at a normal pace. That didn't last long before a hand grabbed my wrist a minute later.

"Hey!" I heard the voice of Carlos say, turning me around. I felt Jay's hand rip off my hood. Carlos' eyes widened like the others around us, realizing who I was.

I froze, seeing how close both of us were to each other, chest touching with his hands resting on my hips and mine on his chest.

"Esme?" Evie asked, snapping both of us out of our daze, and stepping apart.

"Why are you guys here?" I questioned, "Especially with Ben!?"

"We came to get y-you and Mal." Carlos replied and I sighed, turning around, and beginning to walk to the apartment with them trailing behind.

"Why are you even back here?" Jay scoffed, gesturing to the Isle.

"I came for her, I couldn't leave M here alone." I explained, continuing the path to where Mal was.

"What's Mal's reason?" E asked, sounding worried, as I picked up a rock, throwing it at the sign which lifted up the gate.

"Ask her yourself." I stated, pointing my thumb at the opening gate, while Ben began heading for the stairway.

"Wish me luck..." He sighed, looking up in hope that she would come back to him.

"Good luck." Evie wished him after a moment.

I leaned my side against the pole, examining my nails, before Carlos came up behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist, and hugging me tightly. "Hello."

"Hi, there." I chuckled, turning my head to see his. The boy's chin was resting on my shoulder comfortably.

It was always so weird these past few weeks how whenever he was around or coming in contact with me, like now, I'd feel all bubbly inside and happy and excited. I guess that's what a 'crush' was.

"How could you leave me?" He pouted, joking... I think he joked? I smirked, bopping his nose lightly, then turned around to face him. His arms fell at his side, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "Um, Esme?"

"..Carlos?" I cocked a brow in confusion.

"I was w-wondering if, um..."

"Just spit it out, de Vil." I chuckled before we heard footsteps coming down. I turned back around, watching Ben step down.

"So... where's Mal?" Evie asked him, confused as to why it was only him alone.

"She's not coming back." He sighed, shaking his head and walking off.