𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

❝ 𝒾𝓉'𝓈 𝓁𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝑜𝓇 𝒹𝑒𝒶𝓉𝒽 ❞

💥

Mysterious whirring and peculiar buzzing echoed through the depths of the woods, beaming sunlight of the following day now casting beautifully bright light into the cracks between the leaves of the trees.

Strange floating egg-shaped drones hovered just above the moist ground, crimson lasers scanning within the grass and beeping as they collected data.

Sonic peeked over at these perplexing devices, emerald orbs glimmering with fear as he kept the rest of his body hidden in the tufts of chartreuse grass that made home on the mounds in the ground.

His ears flopped down, pinning themselves to the top of his head to block out the painful sounds as he took a deep breath for reassurance.

"Okay, okay, everything is fine. You played some baseball, got a little upset, lightning shut out of your butt, and now they're coming for you." Sonic said to himself, revisiting the possibly life-changing events of the previous night aloud before zipping into his nearby cave for safety.

"Alright, alright, Earth isn't safe anymore. Time for plan B - Mushroomville." He continued, now scanning the darkness of his cave while stood in the single strip of sunlight that passed through the muddy walls.

"I gotta take my stuff. Okay, essential items only." Sonic grabbed a small crimson backpack, unzipping it to reveal the tiny amount of space he had to cram in everything he needed to take to this new planet.

"Okay, toothbrush, toothpaste, hair gel, night light, funny hat. This half-eaten cantaloupe, and my scented candle. My entire comic book collection. Bean bag chair, can a bean bag chair fit in a backpack? No, no, no, of course not, that's stupid." Sonic continued rambling to himself, keeping his brain busy to distract himself from the buzzing that continued outside as he collected the items while listing them verbally.

"Okay, what else? The rings! The rings, yes, of course!" He shrieked, speeding towards the darkest crevice of the cave where the delicate bag of golden rings had been hanging for the last ten years.

Sonic swiftly took a ring from the bag while slinging the backpack across his shoulder. "Here we go. Ring time. Mushroom planet, here I come."

He held up a precious ring, nothing but an isolated abyss of taupe fungi crossing his mind as the sadness connected to the idea of being surrounded by nothing but mushrooms attacked him from behind.

Just as the golden shape was about to sail into the air, opening up the method of transportation to access this new planet, Sonic heard the rumbling of the drones increasing in volume.

They were just outside.

"Oh, no! They're right outside, I gotta go somewhere else!" Sonic cried, the ring returning to the others as he clutched the bag.

He dashed towards the opening of the cave that played the part of both entrance and exit, stopping abruptly when he could see the forest outside that had become brimming with humming technology.

Sonic slowly turned back to the place he had called home for practically all of his life, tears stinging his glistening emerald orbs once again as he took one last look.

He knew he needed to run, just like Longclaw had told him, but he couldn't leave without saying goodbye.

"Goodbye, cave." He muttered, ears drooping as a sigh escaped alongside the saddened words.

Sonic zipped out of his home and into the woods, knowing exactly where to go for safety.

He just hoped he could make it.