sixteen.

Peter Parker loved being Spiderman.

He knew that, everyone who knew his identity knew that, and Violet definitely knew that. And dating Spiderman definitely did have it's perks, like rooftop dates and quick transportation when they were late to school, but it has it's downsides as well.

Peter Parker was late to graduation.

The thing that happened once in their lives, that they had worked twelve long years for, that they had spent hours and hours on every night. The thing that they had been planning everything for for months and had been stressing over for a week. The thing that his aunt and uncle and her mother had all come to for nice, couple-y pictures of the high school sweethearts.

Once her phone hit voicemail for seemingly the eighteen-millionth time since she had started calling her boyfriend frantically, Violet let out an extreme groan of frustration, wheeling on her heel to smack Gwen on the arm. The two had actually become best friends since the attack of the Lizard months ago, especially since the now-black-haired girl had saved the life of the blonde's well-respected father. She was excited to listen to Gwen's Valedictorian speech, and would smack the living hell out of Peter if he missed it.

"Can you try to call Peter? He's not answering me and I think he's doing it on purpose because he thinks I'm going to yell at him. Which I am, but that's not the point!" Violet snapped in irritation, more towards her boyfriend than the confused blonde in front of her.

Gwen chuckled lightly. "If I were him, I wouldn't answer either. Your face is so red, it looks like your head is about to explode. C'mon, it's starting, sit down and I'll call him." She ushered her friend into her seat before sitting down next to her, pulling out her phone and starting to call Peter.

By the way Gwen looked at her, Violet knew that he had answered her quickly, and it made her want to punch a chair. After a brief moment, the blonde spoke. "Your timing is terrible. It started already." Her knee bounced, more anxious that Violet would kill her if Peter took too long. "Where are you? Are those sirens? Peter? Peter? Peter. What is happening? Peter. Peter? Pe-"

The phone cut and Gwen gave a disappointed sigh, just as the microphone on stage gave a squeal of feedback before a voice cut into it. "This year's valedictorian, please welcome Gwen Stacy."

The blonde gave Violet a look before standing up, giving her friend a reassuring pat on the shoulder before putting on a bright smile, turning and making her way towards the stage.

Violet grunted in dismay, slouching down in her seat and crossing her arms like a pouting toddler. She couldn't have expected to bring Gwen down in the dumps with her, but the way she was reacting by herself made her think she was possibly overreacting. But at the same time, how could you overreact to your boyfriend possibly skipping out on graduation?

She looked up as Gwen tapped the mic, wanting to put all of her attention on the speech her best friend had worked on for multiple tireless nights. "Good morning, esteemed faculty and families of my fellow graduates." Her eyes found Violet, and she smiled. "It's an honor to be standing up here today."

"I know we think that we are immortal." Wow, a shot at Violet, maybe? "We're supposed to feel that way." Oh, okay. "We're graduating. But, like our brief four years in high school -" Wow, what world was she living in? "- what makes life valuable is that it doesn't last forever. What makes it precious is that it ends."

Violet knew it was aimed towards her. A near-death experience would do that to someone. Make everyone talk about you and how you almost died and how you should live your life to the fullest now that you almost died. But almost being killed by a mutant scientist-turned-lizard didn't make her want to live life like she was still dying - it made her want to lay in bed with Peter until she rotted naturally.