a night in paradise

— 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘩 𝘰𝘧 𝘑𝘶𝘯𝘦, 2008.

ꜱᴜʀꜰᴇʀꜱ ᴅᴇꜰᴛʟʏ rocked and surmounted every crushing wave as the ocean waves raged. As one of the players waited there, watching the swells, waiting for the big one. When finally, he fearlessly glided his robust surfboard through the spine-chilling, plunging waves, I leaped with delight. I was clutching my hand and holding my breath as silence descended upon the audience; we were all thrilled, closely packed, tense human beings watching from the shore as we awaited something extreme to occur. The camera was trained on the blond boy as he worked hard to escape through the waves.

One, two, three...

Oh, my goodness! He's not going to make it! When the man surfed out of the enormous wave, I bit my bottom lip in fury, and the people's faces lit up with joy. What we've just witnessed is a terrific move by a champion! Cheers erupted as though everyone had just won.

"Lou!!! I knew it! He's going to win this!" Her long, wavy brown hair was blown by the wind as she exclaimed. I, too, was on the verge of euphoria, but I couldn't suppress a smile as I watched her priceless reaction.

"Did you see that? Oh, my God! That was sick! " She couldn't stop laughing as we both had big smiles on our faces.

I flushed when I saw her face gleam when the sunlight burst through her while the waves surged in June. We were able to feel our bodies in sync with our minds, allowing us to think without the use of words. Nothing seems more genuine than spending time with this woman. It's thrilling to experience waves that are as steady as the ocean. It's being in the sunlight, experiencing each great moment as if it were the only one. And I'd like to keep it framed like a portrait so that I may remember every second of this moment every day.

"Yes, sweetheart. I did." I responded by drawing her close to me and kissing the side of her head. She gave me a light peck on the nose and smiled. Everything she does just serves to intensify my love for her. Cheesy.

"I'm so happy we went here! Thanks, babe!" Smiling, I winked at her, and it simply made her blush; my heart skipped a beat.

"Do you know what can make a day at the beach even better?" I asked. We began walking as some others gradually started going back to deal with their own adjourned businesses. The roar of the waves remains.

"What?" As the sun started to set, the sky began to be painted with a mixture of pink, blue, and orange hues. It was like a beach painting that you see in museums—wonderful. My eyes listen to the light as it dances on the waves. We notice the emerging gold.

"A very great steak; c'mon, Debbie, I'm starving!" We scrunched barefoot on the fine white sand of Malibu. Our anklets make sounds as we move further.

"Yeah, me too," she pouted. "

"You're always hungry, babes."

"Shh. Shut up!" I laughed. I stood there watching her as she put on her white sunglasses. It suits her perfectly. Debbie had big brown eyes that sparkled with the unbridled joy that comes with optimism. A button nose and thick lower lips. Her sexy body is perfectly complemented by her black bikini.

"I almost assumed we came here because you were going to propose," I teased, winking. "Baby, I don't have a diamond yet!" She retorted, smirking.

"If you had proposed earlier, we may have stolen the spotlight!" She laughed. How could I not fall in love with those giggles? They sound comforting and calming to my heart.

"And if I did, would you be able to bear the pressure of saying yes while a hundred people halted from watching the surf competition to hear your response?"

"Oh, God! No! Perhaps you're correct. It's a great idea that you didn't think of proposing!"

"If I had proposed, the blond wouldn't have won the competition." Both of us laughed. We were so free to feel that way because we were secure in one another's hearts that when we laughed together, it was part of the loving tie we formed.