fourteen

A NIGHT IN PARADISE

ᴛʜᴇ ʀᴀᴛᴛʟɪɴɢ ᴏꜰ the train echoed through the carriage, its rhythmic cadence blending with the hum of conversation and the distant sounds of the city beyond. It was the year 1982, and Los Angeles exuded a vibrant energy that seemed to seep into every nook and cranny, infusing even the most ordinary of moments with a touch of glamour and excitement. It was within this electric air that Debbie and Lou found themselves, their trip unfolding amidst the clatter of wheels and the occasional screech of brakes.

Debbie gazed out the window, her eyes transfixed by the passing scenery. Lou couldn't help but admire her as she stared, her cheeks flushed with a touch of amusement. Lou watched her intently, beguiled by the way Debbie's eyes crinkled at the corners when she found something particularly amusing.

It was one fine afternoon in September. It's almost Christmas. Debbie's laughter fills the air, echoing through the carriage, as she throws out one silly joke after another, captivating the attention of those around her and, of course, the blonde in front of her.

"I have something for you." Lou's lips curled into a half-smile, a glimmer of uncertainty in her eyes. With a delicate motion, she reached into her pocket, the faint jingle of her bracelet filling the air.

"What is it?" Debbie's curiosity was piqued as she asked her question, her eyes fixed on Lou's hand as it emerged from her pocket, delicately placing a bracelet made of seashells on the table, similar to the one she wore herself.

"Figured you would like these." Debbie's gaze shifted back to Lou's face, a smile spreading across her face.

"It's beautiful, Lou. Where did you get this?"

"Just somewhere along the way to the train station," Lou grinned, her Australian accent adding a touch of warmth to her words. "I spotted your shell collection, and I reckoned you would adore this."

Lou caught sight of a woman peddling souvenirs across the thoroughfare, close to the subway, as she made her way toward the train station. Earlier, Debbie had asked her to meet her at the station after her class, and true to her word, the moment Lou Miller stepped through the station's entrance, where she found long-haired Debbie Ocean waiting for her, a stack of books cradled in her arms. Now, they are on their way to a museum that Debbie has suggested. The brunette made a promise to tour her around LA as if she hadn't been around the town for three months now.

Inside the train carriage, the afternoon sunlight streamed through the windows, casting a warm golden glow on the vintage decor. Passengers settled into their seats, their faces reflecting a mix of weariness and anticipation as if caught between the comfort of routine and the promise of new destinations.

"I didn't know you noticed. Yes, I love this! Thank you, Miller! But you don't have to." Debbie did not take her eyes off the blonde. Debbie carefully fastens the shell bracelet around her wrist, admiring how it shimmers in the soft sunlight filtering through the window.

"It's no big deal. I'm glad I could put a smile on that face." Lou winked, and Debbie chuckled.

"Geez. Thanks, you are such a good friend." Lou's heart skipped a beat as the word "friend" slipped from Debbie's lips. How can you be so clueless and naive, Debbie?

For the past few months, Lou has tired of trying to hide how she feels towards Debbie. She sure is flirting with her shamelessly now, and what irritates her is how Debbie does not seem to notice it at all. The last time they went for a walk together, Debbie was talking about this cute guy in her class who seemed to be interested in her. Although Lou did not dare talk about it, her actions spoke for her. That night, she discreetly distanced herself from Debbie, the ache of unrequited love weighing heavily on her heart. And yet again, the woman did not notice.