six

A  NIGHT IN  PARADISE

— 𝘑𝘶𝘯𝘦, 2008.

ᴛʜᴇ ꜱᴇʀᴇɴᴅɪᴘɪᴛᴏᴜꜱ encounter between Lou Miller and Debbie Ocean was not akin to the quintessential love story depicted in romantic novels. These two individuals, with vastly different life experiences and trajectories, never fathomed that their paths would cross at any point in their lives. It was a chance encounter that left an indelible mark on their hearts.

Seagulls continued to soar and survey the tranquil Pacific coast of Malibu, their curious eyes searching for sustenance in the vast expanse of the ocean. The gentle breeze whispered a melody that echoed through the trees, as the leaves danced to its rhythm, falling and growing in perfect harmony. It was as if nature herself was bearing witness to the unfolding of their love story, a tale as unlikely as it was beautiful.

The vast expanse of the ocean lay before them, eerily silent for what seemed like an eternity. It was as if the very heart of the sea had skipped a beat, leaving behind a deafening silence that hung heavy in the air. Lou's mind was adrift, lost in a sea of thoughts; her eyes were fixated on Debbie, who sat beside her, her presence offering a sense of solace amidst the ominous stillness. The wind howled from the balcony, its intensity growing with each passing moment, and the vibrations of waves on shingles were trapped inside the wind chime made of shells as they danced in the air, clicking against each other.

"Seriously, Miller, how did you make this possible? Is the previous owner even willing to sell this house?" Debbie muttered. The night had well and truly fallen, and the witching hour had passed, yet the beach house still shimmered like a beacon of light amidst the darkness. The array of lights that enveloped the house was nothing short of spectacular, casting a warm glow that radiated out into the surrounding landscape, a glimmer of hope in an otherwise desolate and foreboding night.

"The universe would love to help me impress my woman, because, as a matter of fact, they are, baby. They are going to sell the house to a Chinese family, I heard Chéns from Singapore, and I contacted them directly, offered the owner a much bigger bid, and they gave in to my offer." Lou winked, feeling proud. Debbie just laughed at her; she might as well thank Lou for this. This is everything.

Just when she believed Malibu had no more room in her heart for new memories, here comes Lou, her other half, making everything possible. Debbie never thought that a day would come when she would set foot in this familiar old house again. Countless cherished memories were left lingering in that house—memories of her and Danny's childhood spent frolicking on the Malibu coastline, riding the waves, and racing on the sand. Debbie reminisced about her dad's seashell puppets that he used to craft for them, and how she and Danny would play with them until the sun dipped below the horizon, signaling their mother's call to head back home for a delicious feast of spaghetti and meatballs, lovingly prepared by Mrs. Ocean.

"Thank you, Lou. You know this is too much, but I can't thank you enough." Lou just smiled.

"How did it change over the years spent away from this home?" Lou asked Debbie, curious of how this beach house looked like before all the renovation.

"It changed big time. The exterior of the house is much more modern now, considering that this house was owned by a few different families after us. But the shape pretty much stayed the same, and the beach, well, it was more landscaped now." Debbie replied, remembering how the house so much different way back then. Back then, Malibu was a rustic seaside village that had only a single traffic signal. The coastline was serene and it extended inland through steep, meandering roads that passed through the mountains. However, the town was gradually maturing. Surfers were establishing their businesses with their small shorts and longboards, and the trend of wearing bikinis was catching on.