eleven

A  NIGHT IN  PARADISE

The melody of Whitney Houston's hit song, "I Wanna Dance with Somebody," echoed through the walls of Vanessa's house. The clock had struck past 7 in the evening when Tammy, Debbie, and Lou arrived at the party. Nestled near a shimmering lake, the house was alight with vibrant colors, and the backyard was illuminated with strings of lights. It was like a teenage party right out of the movies, complete with the infectious sounds of laughter, dancing, and idle chatter. Even those teenagers who regretted attending still showed a semblance of presence, tucked away in the corners. As the evening wore on, the weather in the coastal city of Los Angeles underwent a transformation, shifting from the winter's rainy season to the dry season of summer. Tammy had brought Debbie and Lou along to meet some of her friends, and the three girls were eager to join the revelry.

"Hey guys, glad you could make it!" Jessica's sister, Selena, welcomed them, giving them all hugs.

The backyard was packed with people, and the three teenagers were immediately swept up in the energy of the party. The music was loud, the drinks were flowing, and everyone was having a great time. Lou was amazed at how American parties were way much wilder than the ones she had back in her hometown. Sure, parties like this do exist in Australia, but she's never been to a party as chaotic as this.

Maybe because all her life, her parents have controlled her activities. Lou's been to parties—grand parties—and it was nothing like this. It was more fancy, formal, and definitely boring. Her blue eyes danced in sync with the bright lights, and suddenly she felt like her outfit was a bit too much. Lou observed how everyone was dressed in a casual, colorful 80s outfit, and she was wearing a plain brown suit. I could've worn my leather jacket, she muttered under her breath.

It was as if Debbie heard her; the brunette held her hand as Tammy, who was more familiar with the setting, took the lead, guiding the trio through the pulsating crowd. Lou smiled at Debbie, and the woman quickly returned it. They greeted a few of Tammy's friends along the way, sharing quick hellos and engaging in brief conversations. Debbie was wearing a glittery dress and a leather jacket, not to mention the boots that just match her overall aesthetic. Lou felt like her cheeks fluttered. The woman was drawing too much attention from the crowd as they strode, including Lou's; she hasn't withdrawn her eyes from the woman ever since they left the apartment.

Debbie eventually began seeing familiar faces; Sarah and Max from history class were dancing together. Debbie saw them, but she didn't mind approaching them. While Lily, her seatmate from journalism, was chatting with some dude, Debbie wasn't familiar with him. She watched them — they all felt happy and carefree, enjoying the moment.

A few drinks were offered to them. Lou went in to grab one for herself. Debbie looked at her, grinning. "Aren't you like, 17, Miss Miller?"

Lou rolled her eyes, but a smile was still on her lips. "Yeah. But no one would know, honey. I'm 90% sure the rest of these people are underage too. Besides, I'm turning 18 soon."

"Chill, Louise. No one's gonna tell your mom about this." Debbie laughed. Lou stared at Debbie, a smile slightly and carelessly showing on her face.

"They wouldn't know." Lou winked and drank her drink.

Debbie observed the blonde with amusement dancing in her eyes, enjoying the sight of Lou imbibing the alcohol expertly. Debbie playfully shakes her head in disbelief.