twelve

A NIGHT IN PARADISE

ᴛʜᴇ ᴠɪʙʀᴀɴᴛ ᴘᴜʟꜱᴇ of Los Angeles surged relentlessly, defying the gloom that settled upon the weather. In that moment, Lou's senses awakened to the enchanting dance of tiny raindrops upon the glass pane, their gentle descent painting a hazy masterpiece of blurred city lights, as if time itself had slowed down to savor the spectacle.

"Oh, no, it's raining, Lou," Debbie voiced, now looking at the window too.

"We can stay here longer while we wait for the rain to stop." The blonde fixed her gaze upon Debbie, her eyes filled with a mixture of curiosity and intrigue. In that fleeting moment, a warm, gentle smile graced her lips. Debbie is like a canvas of radiance; her presence alone draws Lou into her.

"It's good that I wore my leather jacket." Debbie grinned. She looked back at Lou, clutching the edges of her supple leather jacket. She embraced herself, seeking solace from the chill that enveloped the air.

"I should've worn mine too."

"No, you're good. You look good." Debbie winked, and Lou could have sworn that it made her heart skip. Compelled by the enchantment that radiated from her, Lou's eyes couldn't help but return to the window, their attention veiling the burgeoning smile that yearned to blossom upon her lips. It was as if the glass pane became a clandestine confidant, privy to the delicate dance between their hearts, guarding their unspoken connection with a knowing silence. You have to play it cool, Lou. She stared back at Debbie, who was still looking at her with a smile that could thaw Lou like a frosty sculpture right then and there.

"I—uh, thanks. You too; you look hot," Lou blurted out, smiling. She paused, taking in what she just said. Her mouth was automatically zipped. Her heart, pounding fast. What the fuck did I just say?

Debbie laughed at the blonde. As she tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear, she leaned in, not taking her eyes off the blonde.

"So you think I'm hot?" Debbie asked. In her mind, the great Lou Miller debated whether she had heard it right. Never in her whole life did she doubt if a woman was flirtatious with her, because women always want to show their affection towards her. Debbie, on the other hand, is like a forgotten language, elusive and hard to read. Lou swallowed, she swallowed hard, and blinked, many times. Is she flirting at me? Am I dreaming?

Lou smiled, half-smirking. Don't start with me, woman. I can play this very well than you could. She leaned back, still smiling. The tension between them is now growing, and the invisible threads connecting their souls are pulling tighter. Lou could sense the amusement of the moment beginning.

"Yes. I think you're hot." And there, Lou finally said it. Debbie raised a brow as she bit her bottom lip, trying to suppress a smile.

"You like me, Miller, don't you?" That was so direct to the point, and Lou didn't expect Debbie to be this straightforward. But Lou Miller certainly knows how to flirt back.

"And if I say yes, what will you do about it?" She commented, testing the brunette, partaking in her playful maneuver.

"I should be asking you that. What will you do about it, Lou Miller?" Debbie posed the question once more, further enticing the blonde. Lou could only respond with a knowing smile, fully aware that her cheeks had already flushed a deep shade of red.