three

A NIGHT IN PARADISE

- Eleventh of August, 2014.

ᴊᴜꜱᴛ ꜱʜᴇ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛ the night is getting young, the stars aligned with the silent sound of the night. People were getting hyped with each passing time. The waves remained to crash against the shore. Screeching endlessly. Muted. For Lou, the world seemed to thwart them. Paused as someone did it for her mind to pick up the feelings surging from her at that moment. She seemed isolated from the growing bash of Tamie's manor. Oak that gleams lustrously as the night reached to vanquish the world. Oak that she used to look at and memorize like a classic poem. Oak that once met the ocean and coalesces like strings purposely connected them in the narrative. Destiny. Lou held her breath deeply, not wanting to look away.

One night in August rewarded her with the sight of the brown eyes that used to greet her in the chirping sound of morning. Wonderful.

"Ms. Ocean! How come you're late tonight? That is so not you!" Tamie hugged her tight, never wanting to let go.

Everyone joined them except the blonde that stuck around in her seat, still processing the astonishment she was feeling. She saw this coming, why would she still be surprised? Does Debbie know Tamie invited her? Is she also expecting her tonight? Thoughts once again clouded Lou's mind like a downpour of nature. Finally having the courage to look away, she grips her glass tight, not knowing how to handle the situation.

Didn't you linger for this moment to come, idiot?

The waves never calmed and so neither did she.  Her chest aches each time she hears her heartbeat racing fast. Blimey.

Debbie saw her. She saw her before anyone else in the room. Completely taken aback, she managed to keep up composing. Tamie said the party's gonna be simple, only a few acquaintances would come. And what welcomed her that night was the complete opposite. This party's wrecked. Hyped. She understood, very clearly that this was Tamie's little trick all along, to make her come. Debbie has not been keen on big parties – and Tamie knows that for sure – and this plan of hers drags her into this huge congested party with no choice but to mingle with the crowd.

"Debs, you look thinner!" Rosie commented, before jumping in for an embrace. Debbie could still feel Lou's stare, which was heavy and searing as if they were preparing to burn away all of her confidence in this room. Stop looking! She spoke in her mind.

"Simple party, huh?" She smirked at Tamie, who was laughing wickedly.

"Common, Deb! Let's just enjoy this party, shall we?"

Debbie shook her head. "Right, like I do have a choice!" She and the other girls walked, slowly and deliberately making eye contact with Lou until she was a meter away from her. Lou, heart pounding fast, felt like a bucket of ice had just been poured at her, thought Debbie was gonna greet her, but the woman instead scanned the throng, darting her gaze among people, searching for whoever Lou couldn't tell. Curves, silky skin, long hair, and delicate lips... The woman looked so much more radiant than she could ever remember. Maybe it's because of the new hair color, or how she carries herself better now, Lou wished for one moment, that Debbie would look at her again, and she never did. Her bitter smile was gone with the wind. I guess it was nice seeing you again, old friend.

Tamie was telling the women the story of the time she got in trouble for breaking up a fight with one of the parents in her kid's school. Everyone was laughing, enjoying the conversation. "I could've done something for revenge! But my husband told me we should let the school decide and control the issue!"

"You are crazy! Does your husband even know about this party?" Tammie drank the alcohol and emptied the glass.

"Is that something we should talk about?" All of them laughed.

"No! I'm kidding, of course, he does! He'll be here in a minute!"

"Oh, your kids must be wondering where their parents might be!"

"We told them that we're getting new toys for them."

"You are such a good mom, Tammy!"

"No, don't mention it!"

The party became more and more alive. No one cares to check their watches except for Lou. Her feelings remain heavy, like the vigorous tides of the California coast.

"Where's Amita?" Daphne asked, making an effort for her voice to be heard among the clangor rising inside the room.

"Don't look for her, she's probably enjoying the company of her accountant," Lou responded, almost shouting.

"What?"

"They met, a few hours ago. And the bond seemed to go pretty good."

Lou is pleased with how Daphne makes an effort of accompanying her, making sure she does not feel uncomfortable. All of the girls are talking with Debbie, and one topic would transpire from another. Nevertheless, all she does was seize the opportunity of the little stolen glimpses, thinking of ways how to end this night. Do they deserve a talk? She observes as Debbie casually drinks and talks, no lacquer of gauche, she seems very still, unlike her whose mind is being surged by the moment itself. She wants to curse, and she did. And thought she's done it silently in her mind, but the look Daphne gave her says that she failed to control it mentally.

"Don't you wanna talk to her?" Daphne whispered.

"I don't think she wants to. I'll give her space." Space. Space that she thought, five years ago would eventually heal everything. Clinging onto the hopeful introspection that it would patch things up, and align ways that would bring them back together. Space that would be enough for them to think and grasp the situation. She thought it would be temporary, but not until three years after, did she find herself at an empty kitchen table with the leaves of an October breeze lurching through the branches of the trees. Her tea had grown chilly from the hours she had spent wondering how everything had happened so suddenly. Space that let everything sink under the history of their past.

"Don't you think 5 years is enough space?" She thought too. But does the word enough frankly mean that enough is enough to keep on replenishing the hope that still lives deep in her heart like a darted arrow, long abandoned by the bow?

"I don't know..."

"By the way, the brunette's walking towards here."

---

Short update. Been very busy for the past few months, but I'll try my very best to keep on writing and working on this fiction. If anyone is reading this, bear with me, guys. Hahaha. Love lots! <333