Chapter Sixteen

Martha

Martha

I had finally realised something and it was something that had caused quite a lot of shock to my psyche, I realised we didn't deserve the life we had before Charlie. We didn't deserve to be treated like nuisances because we didn't ask to be born, we didn't deserve to live in the middle of a rocky marriage or especially the way our stepmother acted towards us. Hillary and I were the broken pieces of a relationship that was terrible from the start and we were expected to fix everything only to be blamed when that didn't happen. I realised all of this one night, lying wide awake in bed thinking about the dark cloud hanging over us that was our past. Hillary certainly didn't deserve any of it, I knew that deep in my bones, so why would I be any different?

Charlie had told us we were better off without either of our parents and I believed him because he was right. We weren't born for anyone else but ourselves. I'm slowly starting to think Hillary was thinking the same thing.

I've seen her talking to the Cullens more over the past weeks and she seemed happy with that smile that seemed so rare before but now made her eyes brighten and her cheeks strain. I could tell she enjoyed the company of Jasper and Edward more because they were quiet and they were thinkers just like her but she was also trying not to Alice so much, at least not actively.

Hillary and I stood awkwardly in the background as Charlie greeted his best friend, Billy Black, outside his home on the Reservation. The man had wanted to introduce us for a while and it just never seemed to happen naturally so Charlie took us to him and also for us to meet Jacob, Billy's young son, who was apparently 'a good kid' but that's what they all say.

"Billy, these are my nieces, Hillary and Martha." Charlie motioned for us to go closer and we shuffled forward, shoulder to shoulder, with matching grimaces.

Billy grinned up at us, "I've heard a lot about you girls, you know? I think Charlie really likes having you two around." He teased and Charlie playfully punched his shoulder with embarrassment clear on his face.

I shrugged, "We like it too."

"Jacob! Jacob, come meet the girls!" Billy called out only for a boy to exit the house not a minute later, "Jacob, these are Charlie's nieces, Hillary and Martha."

Jacob grinned with some of the whitest teeth I've ever seen, "Hey, nice to meet you."

"Yeah, uh, likewise." I let out an uncomfortable chuckle. Without taking my eyes off the boy, I leaned over to whisper to Hillary, "I feel so awkward."

"You're not the only one." She whispered back.

So, maybe first impressions weren't great but when were they? Other than those spontaneous instant connections their all pretty much awkward and just you feel like you want to go home already, well, that's how we felt that is. But then Charlie and Billy had to bring up going down to the beach and not that I didn't want to but I didn't really want to while Hillary was trying really hard to be nice so she quickly accepted with another grimace of a smile. I discreetly glared at her which received me an elbow to the ribs.