Chapter Ten

Hillary's POV

Hillary's POV

The feeling of being wanted was like you suddenly had a purpose in the world, I always somewhat had that feeling with my sister but never like this.

Angela Weber was sweet, caring, beautiful and yet . . She was still bullied. Even in such a small town where everyone knew each other, they were just the same as big-city kids picking on the weaker, smarter kids.

So when I saw this wannabe model named Lauren pick on my new friend I put my foot down. She was obviously surprised that I, the loner emo kid, was standing up for the girl she thought to be lower than her. To say the girl would ever talk to Angela again was an understatement, she was definitely going to have to explain a few cuts and bruises to her parents.

And although Angela didn't condone violence, I knew she was happy to get a bully-off her back. Martha, of course, thought it was hilarious and fair punishment but also a little sad she couldn't do it herself.

Angela now sat with us, in the corner of the cafeteria even though she had her own friends. Martha was happy to have a new friend and I was just glad they both were content. But I still didn't like sweet Angela hanging with us for most of her time when she should be doing homework and messing around with her friends as a teenager should do.

I still smiled for them, it being almost completely real, at least it felt real. They laughed as they talked loudly, well Martha was loud while Angela stayed her quiet self.

"Wait, you're saying you filmed yourself as a talk show host with your stuffed animals?" Martha laughed, almost falling off her chair with how funny she thought it was.

Angie blushed, giggling softly, "I was seven." She defended her younger self.

My sister scoffed, "so? I wanna see that video." Her grin was contagious as I smiled along with them, this was just such a nice change of scenery.

Angie looked off to the side, "there's actually a few." She mumbled which made Martha laugh hysterically. I didn't really know what was so funny but I wasn't listening too much anyway.

"Love that." Martha shook her head with amusement.

I looked away from the happy two and watched Angela's friends sit at their table doing the same, laughing and talking with one another. Lauren sat among them, her face much more colourful than it should be. I smirked when her eyes caught mine, she quickly looked away as I knew she was probably scared of me now.

"What are you looking at?" I heard Angie ask. I averted my eyes and gave her a smile, almost to assure her.

"Nothing," I answered softly, shaking my head as if to make my point clearer. She brushed it off with a shrug and turned back to Martha, I'm glad she can be so naive.