Chapter Seventeen

Martha

Martha

It was like something in Hillary changed; like a switch had been flicked and all those ugly - and rather unwarranted - feelings towards Alice were washed away. Of course, she still had trouble opening up to the small girl as she did with anyone but she was trying and she wasn't forcing out those snide comments or mean glares anymore like she used to. There were exceptions, however, like when Alice would tease her about almost anything or when she smiled that wide smile of hers that was directed straight at my sister.

Hillary still didn't understand why Alice wanted to get so close, she was completely oblivious to it, but it was a start.

It seemed our two groups had merged overnight. Suddenly Hillary, Angela and I were all sitting with the Cullens at lunch - much to people's shock despite my clear friendship with the family - and we were all getting along great, Angela and Emmett especially.

However, Rosalie still had her troubles with accepting Hillary into the group and vice versa. Their personalities clashed harshly and it was clear from the jump that they weren't going to get along so easily, it would take time and effort, and yet they both swallowed their pride and pretty much ignored one another for the most part.

I watched as Hillary conversed somewhat comfortably with Alice and Edward, one sibling more excitable than the other, while Angela laughed once again at something Emmet had said. Jasper sat silently, adding the odd comments into a conversation, as he read and Rosalie picked at her food as if she were actually going to eat it. 

It bothered me that the blonde goddess sitting beside me never seemed to eat but I couldn't exactly judge and I knew she wasn't unhealthy to the point of my sister so I wasn't too concerned.

"Martha?" Rosalie's sweet voice spoke softly, instantly getting my attention and causing me to turn to her. 

"Rose?"

Rosalie paused for a moment before she looked up and I saw her eyes were filled with concern that was unknown to me, I had no idea what had made her suddenly so unlike herself. "I just... there's been... " She sighed heavily.

"Hey," I placed a hand on her shoulder, "It's fine. Take your time, I'll always listen."

She gave a small smile before continuing to try and mentally piece her words together. "I want you to be safe." She whispered, still unsure of herself. "Something's going on around here. I... feel it. And I need you to make sure you are safe."

I nodded. "I understand, Rose. I may not know what's upsetting you but I understand." I tried to assure her. "Could you tell me what's worrying you?"

There was a split second where I saw Rosalie's sharp eyes glance at my sister - talking to Edward and Jasper - before she looked back at me with a warm smile. "It's nothing, really, just a feeling." 

"If you say so." 

Hillary

I realised how far I had come only a short while ago. It was when I first looked into the full-length mirror in mine and Martha's bedroom while I was getting dressed - I noticed my ribs were a little less noticeable and my cheekbones were a little less sharp against my skin, and then I realised that seeing myself like that didn't make me want to starve myself as it would have done in the past. I wasn't fat and that was something I could finally tell myself and believe.

With all of that being said, I still couldn't help feeling the need to exercise any way I could and that usually entailed going for a walk while I skipped PE once again. I didn't bother finding Jasper or one of the others as I knew they would tell me to take it easy so I set off alone, strolling alongside the forest on a quiet road. It didn't take long to get anywhere in Forks and that was one of the things I liked about the small town.

But then, I saw something out of the corner of my eye, something bright amongst the dark trees and dreary sky. It caught my attention as it would have done anyone and I stopped mid-stride to peer into the forest to my left. 

I took my time to search for any moving branches or leaves but found none so I continued.

It happened again, something moving to the side of my vision at what seemed like lightning speed.

"What the fuck?" I muttered to myself, not quite scared but a little weirded out. 

"What the fuck?" My words echoed back to me.

I frowned deeply and stepped closer to the trees.

"Hello?"

"Hello?"

There it was gain.

I scoffed. "If someone's messing with me, fuck off!"

Silence.

I stepped closer.

"Help!

I jumped back in fright at the sudden scream, emitting such pain in the voice.

Was someone in trouble? What the hell was going on?

"Please! Help!"

I wasn't sure if I should follow the voice like some stupid girl in a teen horror movie but it kept going and it had my moral compass turning in circles.

"Hillary?!"

My eyes widened. That was my sister's voice.

I ran head-first into the forest, looking left to right for any sign of my presumably injured sister.

Why would she be in the forest?

I didn't care in that moment.

"Martha?!" I screamed in return, only receiving more of her frightened voice calling out for me. "I'm coming! Where are you?!"

"It hurts! Please!"

Branches scratched at my face and arms, leaves smacking me from every direction as I aimlessly ran. Nothing mattered but finding her.

She was close.

And, finally, when I thought she was just in front of me, silence rang through the forest.

Whatever it was, it stood there smugly.

"Hillary?"

Why was a mirror talking back to me?

My own face stared back at me with a smirk painted over its features, so taunting.

My jaw dropped in horror, I stepped back and it stepped toward me.

It giggled. "I've been looking everywhere for you."

"What- I- " I stuttered, fearing for my sanity, "W-what are y-you?"

Grinning sadistically, it approached quickly. I felt its breath caress my skin as it opened its mouth to reply, "I'm you. Isn't it obvious?"

"Impossible." I breathed.

"Aww," It pouted, "Is the little one scared?" Its grin returned contorted and larger as its cheeks appeared to split slightly. "Good."