one

⚠️TW: brief mentions of self harm in the beginning of chapter

Billie's pov:

Closing the medicine cabinet, I turn the faucet on and run my forearm under ice-cold water. I wince as the water comes in contact with my skin, tingling the sensitive flesh wound. I shut the water off with my dry hand and roll down my sleeve, sharply inhaling when the fabric grazes my wound.

Stepping out of the bathroom, cautiously looking to see if my brother was around, I tiptoe back to my room. I pull out my phone and lay on my bed, staring mindlessly at the screen for hours until I pass out.

*time skip to morning*

I'm awoken by the booming sound of my bedroom door being slammed open and hitting the wall. My stupid brother comes barging in, being extra-obnoxiously loud this morning. I hear the clanking of chains hitting against each other and paws tapping against the floorboards.

I'm abruptly torn apart from my peace when I feel my dog licking my whole face. I get up, pushing her off me, and groan in disgust.

"What the fuck, Pepper?" I say, wiping the slobber off of my face with the end of my sleeve.

"Get up. Don't wanna be late for your first day of school, do you?" Finneas says while placing a glass of water on my nightstand.

"No," I grumble, taking a sip of the water he gave me.

"Good. Now get ready," he says before leaving my room, thankfully having the decency to close the door behind him.

I groan to myself and get out of bed. I search my closet for something to wear before throwing it on the bed and leaving my room to go take a shower.

I walk into the bathroom barefoot, used to the cold feeling of the tiles, and turn on the shower, waiting for it to get hot. As I take my hoodie off, I remember to bandage my arm before getting in the shower and do so. Once ready, I step into the warm embrace of the steamy shower, letting the hot water prickle against my skin. Picking up my vanilla body wash, I sing to myself an old melody I came up with as I lather my body with the soapy substance.

When I'm done with my shower, I quickly get changed into the outfit I picked out for the first day back at school (A/N: the fit from pic at top). I put on all my chains and rings and then laced up my nikes. Grabbing my backpack on my way out, I head to the kitchen where my mom was cooking breakfast.

"Good morning, honey," my mom greets me whilst setting down a plate of vegan banana pancakes in front of me.

"Morning," I reply before taking a bite of my pancakes.

All I can think about this morning is how much I am dreading for another school year to begin. Not to mention, the weather in LA during August is fucking horrid and way inconvenient for me—it's reaching 100° and I have to wear long sleeves all the time so nobody sees my scars. At this point, I'm just hoping the teachers will be blasting the AC because I cannot survive this heat.

"Earth to Billie," my mom snaps me out of my trance.

"Huh, what?" I ask, not having a clue what my mom was saying to me before.

"I asked if you want me to drive you to school," she says, which makes me internally groan at the fact that I still don't have my car keys back.

"Mom, can I please have my keys back?" I beg, "It's the first day of school and I wanna show off my baby, Dragon."

My mom rolls her eyes at me, but hands me my keys nonetheless.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" I hug her, showing my gratitude.