Chapter 19: Injuries and Rewards

Rowan knocked hard on the door of the Hospital Wing. The sound echoing throughout the long corridor. Madam Pomfrey opened the door, and immediately brought them all inside. She ordered Kenneth to a bed immediately. Penny and Rowan stood on either side of the bed. Kenneth didn't care about Penny seeing him in this state anymore, since it wasn't the first time. Rowan, on the other hand, looked uncomfortable. Pomfrey didn't ask any questions; perhaps already knowing what took place.

"Why do I feel like I'll be seeing you in here a lot?" she asked with slight amusement and annoyance, as she examined Kenneth.

"This probably won't be the last if I keep this up," mused Kenneth.

Madam Pomfrey merely sighed and shook her head. The stinging pain he had felt on his cheek turned out to be a shallow scrap from skinning it against the stone wall. With a drop of dittany and a tap of her wand, the scrap faded away immediately. She then noticed Kenneth's torn robes that he tried to hide by wrapping his bad arm around it tighter, but the blood stains gave him away. She gave a nod towards his chest, indicating that he must show her. Kenneth sighed, pushed his arm off and opened his torn robes to show them. Pomfrey hissed when she saw the sight, while both Penny and Rowan covered their mouths with horror and revulsion. It was a lot worse than it looked. On Kenneth's chest were large claw marks that cut deep into his flesh. The surrounding area was green, blue and black in colour, and crusted with dry blood and dirt. With no robes nor an arm to cover it, his scratches started to bleed again.

"These scratches look deep," she said, examining the scratches on his chest. "Did you get mauled by a hippogriff?"

"Just a dog," said Kenneth quickly.

"I'm sorry?"

"It was a big, aggressive dog."

"Well, it just so happens that a dog and a hippogriff wouldn't leave scratches this deep. I already know that they are from a werewolf. Because they're not natural, I'm afraid these scratches might remain permanent. Same with the ones on your shoulders. If it was a bite, you'd be beyond saving at this point. I noticed your arm, too..."

The moment she lifted his limp arm and moved it above his shoulder level, the pain was so excruciating that Kenneth screamed.

"Hmm," she said, placing it back, "and a broken clavicle. That won't be a problem. But your chest, first. You'll have to stay the night again."
She threw Kenneth a pair of pyjamas. Penny waited outside the curtain drawn around Kenneth's bed while Rowan helped him with his pyjamas. It took a while to stuff the limp arm into a sleeve without hurting him. Madam Pomfrey told them to leave the pyjama top unbuttoned so she can deal with the claw marks.

As Kenneth lay back into his bed, Penny and Madam Pomfrey came around the curtain. Madam Pomfrey was holding a vial of a silvery substance and a large bottle of something labelled 'Skele-Gro'.

"You're in for a rough night," she said pouring a steaming beakerful and handing it to him. "The pain you're going to be going through is a nasty business."

So was taking the Skele-Gro. It burned Kenneth's mouth and throat as it went down, causing him to cough. Madam Pomfrey then took a step back, leaving Rowan and Penny to help Kenneth gulp down some water. Madam Pomfrey came back, pouring the silver contents into a dry cloth, and then dampened it with dittany.

"What's that powder?" asked Rowan.

"Powdered silver," Madam Pomfrey answered. "Mix of this and dittany will close the cuts. I must warn you, this is not going to be pleasant. If you thought last week was bad, this is worse. You two," she gestured to Rowan and Penny, "hold him down."

Rowan pressed his hands down on Kenneth's good shoulder, while Penny clasped his hand, again, startling Kenneth.

"Penny!" panicked Kenneth, pulling his hand out of her grasp. "No! I don't want to hurt you."
She smirked.