Chapter 6: The Sorting Hat

The door swung open at once. A tall, black-haired witch in emerald-green robes stood there. She had a very stern face and Kenneth's first thought was that this was not someone to cross.

"The firs'years, Professor McGonagall," said the giant man.

Kenneth could see that he had a very thick beard that covered half his face.

"Thank you, Hagrid." she says. "I will take them from here."

She pulled the door wide. The entrance hall was so big a house could fit in it. The stone walls were lit with flaming torches, the ceiling was too high to make out, and a magnificent marble staircase facing them led to the upper floors.

They followed Professor McGonagall across the flagged stone floor. She then had them gather outside a pair of double doors that were the same size as the entrance. The students gazed around nervously.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," said Professor McGonagall. "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is avery important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room."

"The four houses are called Gryffindor, the brave and chivalrous. Hufflepuff, the kind and diligent. Ravenclaw, the witty and wise. And Slytherin, the cunning and ambitious. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. I hope you all will be fine additions to their ranks. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn you House Points, while any rule-breaking will lose House Points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House cup, a great honour."

"The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. Now, form a line and follow me.

Feeling as though his legs felt like lead, Kenneth got into line behind a girl with bubblegum pink hair, with Rowan behind him, and they walked through the double doors into the Great Hall.

Kenneth had never even imagined such a splendid place. It was lit by thousands upon thousands of candles that were floating in midair over four long tables, where the rest of the students were sitting.These tables were laid with glittering golden plates and goblets. At the top of the hall was another long table where the professors were sitting. In the centre of the High Table had a large gold chair and it sat a man. He was tall, thin and very old, judging by the silver in his long beard and hair that, which both were long enough to tuck into his belt. He was wearing long, elegant robes and cloak of brilliant violet and high-heeled buckled boots. His blue eyes were light, bright, and sparkling behind half-moon spectacles and his nose was very long and crooked, as though it had been broken more than once.

Albus Dumbledore. The greatest wizard of all time, sat and acknowledged all the first years with a beaming smile and a twinkle in his eyes.

Professor McGonagall led the first years up there, so that they came to a halt at the front of the hall. The hundreds of faces staring at them looked like pale lanterns in the flickering candlelight. Mainly to avoid all the staring eyes, Kenneth looked upward and saw a velvety black ceiling dotted with stars.

He heard Rowan whisper into his ear, "Its bewitched to look like the sky outside. I read about it in Hogwarts, A History."

"Of course you did," Kenneth whispered back with a chuckle.

Kenneth quickly looked down again as Professor McGonagall silently placed a four-legged stool in front of the first years. On top of the stool she put a pointed wizard's hat. This hat was patched, frayed and extremely dirty.