Chapter 16: Let the Investigation Begin

"I hit a werewolf across the face with a broom once, then I ran," said Cecil, as he and Kenneth walked into the Training Grounds the following day. It was Kenneth's Flying Class and Cecil insisted that it would be the perfect opportunity to interview Madam Hooch.

"Perhaps a cricket bat or a Beater's bat would be more effective next time," Kenneth said sarcastically. "That way it's knocked out."

"Excellent thinking, my young apprentice," said Cecil, slapping his forehead. "Why didn't I think of that?"

"Because you don't?" muttered Kenneth, under his breath so Cecil couldn't hear him.

They entered the Training Grounds. Class hadn't begun yet. All of Kenneth's classmates were there. Some were chatting away until Kenneth came into view. A lot of them looked at Kenneth with apprehension, others turned their back on him; as though he was bitten by a werewolf.

"Why are they staring?" asked Cecil.

"Judging by their looks," said Kenneth, "they may be thinking that I might've been bitten by a werewolf."

"Nonsense! I'd know if you were."

"I'm sure you would. The other is probably because they see me as a cursed child because of my brother."

"Jacob Russell?" asked Cecil.

"Yes," sighed Kenneth.

"I should've known that my apprentice would be the brother of the cursed boy who endangered Hogwarts. He caused quite a mess."

"Would you rather have a cursed child or a werewolf as your apprentice?" asked Kenneth, now visibly annoyed.

Cecil thought for a moment. "Good point. Hold that thought, it looks like you're being summoned." Pointing towards two students that were Penny and Rowan.

Penny was talking with Rowan when they noticed Kenneth had arrived. Penny waved Kenneth over and he approached them. She looked around to make sure no one but Kenneth and Rowan could hear her.

"I'm so sorry I didn't help you with those werewolves, Kenneth," she whispered guiltily. Her face was full of regret and shame.

"It's fine, Penny," dismissed Kenneth. "Don't apologize. I told you to run because I didn't want you to get hurt and I'd never forgive myself if you did."

Penny opened her mouth about to say something, but Kenneth cut her off.

"Besides," he continued, "I'd be devastated to see you in the position that I was in."

Penny gave a weak smile and nodded. She then fixed her eyes up at the figure behind Kenneth. "Is that-?"

"Hello, lass," said Cecil, bowing. "Cecil Lee, at your service." Holding out a hand.

"Penny Haywood," she said apprehensively, taking it. She looked at Kenneth for approval. Kenneth immediately gave her a shrug.

"Charmed," replied Cecil, shaking it. He turned his gaze on Rowan. "And you must be...?"

"Rowan," said Rowan, holding out his hand. "Rowan Khanna."

"A pleasure." Shaking Rowan's hand as well. "Miss Haywood, I understand you were there the night that Chiara Lobosca was attacked?"

"Yes?" said Penny.

"Could you tell me your account of what happened that night?"

"Well...I was with Kenneth looking for Dumbledore when we found her unconscious on here in the Training Grounds."

Cecil turned to Kenneth. "Seems that the story is the same as yours."

"Because I was telling the truth..." said Kenneth bluntly.