Chapter 11: The Duel

Kenneth awoke early the next morning feeling refreshed. Changing into his robes and fixing his hair, he walks downstairs and finds Rowan waiting for him.

"Morning," he said, "sleep well?"

"Morning," Kenneth responds back with a yawn and stretching his muscles. "Feeling refreshed." He notices Rowan holding a sheet of paper in his hand. "What's that?" he asks.

"It's from Angelica," said Rowan, handing the sheet of paper to Kenneth for him to read it. "She gave it to me five minutes ago."

Kenneth took the paper and read it:

I hope you're ready to duel. Let's see what you've been learning. Meet me in the Courtyard.

Angelica

"I guess that means we'll have to skip breakfast," groaned Kenneth.

"It's still early," said Rowan, shrugging. "I don't think she'll have us for long."

"I hope you're right. Let's go."

When they arrived in the Courtyard, they saw Angelica sitting on a bench with a basket beside her. When she saw them approach, she smiled and thanked them for coming so quickly.

"We didn't get to talk last night," she said. "Did you learn aduelling spell?"

"I learned Rictusempra and Expelliarmus," said Kenneth, feeling proud of himself.

"The Tickling Charm and the Disarming Charm? I'm impressed. So that was what was the commotion last night, you casted the Tickling Charm on Rowan."

"Yes," said Rowan, rubbing the back of his neck embarrassed. "Sorry for that."

"No need," she said and then turned to Kenneth. "Where did you learn the Disarming Charm?"

"Professor Flitwick."

"He did?" Angelica was now beaming with pride. She pulled out her wand and said, "Show me!"

"Expelliarmus!"Kenneth roared pointing his wand at Angelica. A jet of red light expelled from his wand and it hit her wand, knocking it out of her grip and flew straight to Kenneth, whom caught it.

"Very impressive," she mused, taking back her wand. "That was the finest Disarming Charm I've seen a first-year cast."

"That was the first time the wand flew towards the caster. Flitwick's only flew a few feet beside him."

"Wait, what?!" exclaimed Angelica, eyes wide like saucepans.

"You disarmed Professor Flitwick?" Rowan and Angelica said in unison.

"Yep, he ordered me to."

"Well, now I think the best way to teach you both how to duel is to have you duel each other."

"I don't want to hurt Rowan," said Kenneth shaking his head with refusal.

"And I don't want to get hurt," Rowan agreeing.

"I don't want either of you to get hurt, but that's part of learning how to duel."

"But-"

"It'll be fine," she assured. "I'm here and you have my permission. Now let's begin"

Angelica had both of them move away from each other at a distance and ordered them to face each other.

"First rule of duelling, each dueller face their opponent and bow. "Kenneth and Rowan bowed in unison. "Now begin."

Rowan tried to cast the Tickling Charm but Kenneth was faster. Rowan dodged the attack just in time and successfully casted the Charm. This time it was Kenneth's turn to dodge but he lost his balance and fell while dropping his wand in the process. Rowan, feeling triumphant, casted the Charm again. Thinking back to his Jackie Chan films he used to watch, Kenneth desperately swung his legs upwards and pulled his arms behind him, swinging into a half back-handspring. He managed to dodge the the Charm in the nick of time.