Chapter 13: Class Matters

"Russell!" yelled Angelica the next morning in the Common Room. Kenneth was on his way of leaving the Common Room for breakfast, but Angelica was waiting for him. Since he got to bed late last night, breakfast was coming to an end soon. Kenneth stopped in his tracks. His first thought was that he was caught sneaking back into the Common Room after hours. His best bet was to play it off normally.

"You know, Angelica," he said, "I have a first name."

"Turn around," she ordered impatiently. Kenneth reluctantly turned around and walked towards her.

"You wanted to see me?" he asked.

"Cut the sarcasm," she said with disappointment etched on her face. "I heard about your meeting with the professors. Please tell me you didn't lose Gryffindor another twenty House Points."

So that explains the anger and disappointment, he thought.

"I seem to recall that you were beaming with pride over my duel against Merula yesterday," Kenneth said, confused of the sudden change in mood. House Points lost, he thought, should be the least of their concern. More like she should be relieved that he wasn't expelled.

"I was, but the House Points lost is a bigger deal" she said, there was ice in her tone. "Is it true?"

"It's true." he admitted, "I lost Gryffindor twenty points and a week's detention. I'm not trying to get in trouble, but Merula was bullying another student. Someone had to do something."

"Why does that someone always have to be you? You're ruining any chance we have of winning the House Cup."

"Because no one else would. I'll get the points back. Before I forget, Slytherin is in a heap of trouble over Merula's antics."

"You had better." she eyed him carefully. "What was Merula's punishment?"

"Two week's detention and sixty points," he shrugged.

"Sixty?!" she exclaimed with eyes wide.

"Careful, you'll turn into Rowan if you keep that up. And yes, she lost sixty points for the things she did yesterday."

"Forget I said anything, then. Get those house points back so we can win the House Cup."

"What can I do to make it better?"

"Go to class." she listed. "Focus on your schoolwork. Do everything in your power to earn more House Points. Within the rules." she added. "I know this is difficult for you, but please, stay out of trouble."

"No promises there," he mused. Noticing Angelica's nostrils flaring he continues with, "I don't look for trouble; trouble finds me. But I'll try."

"Do more than try," she said earnestly. "You have Charms Class, Flying Class and Potions Class today. Be careful with Snape, he'll be even nastier to you than normal if you can call it that. Get to your classes on time, and get Gryffindor some House Points. Off you go."

Nodding, Kenneth turned his back on Merula and as he was about to leave, he heard the sound of Rowan's voice.

"Kenneth, hold up."

Kenneth turned and saw that Rowan was sitting on a sofa by the fireplace with a few books on his lap. Kenneth didn't notice that Rowan was there. Perhaps that's the reason how Angelica found out about the news of yesterday. Kenneth took a seat adjacent to Rowan.

"I gathered all my favourite books on flying like you said," he said excited.

Remembering that he had asked Rowan to gather books on flying to help Ben couldn't have come in a better time.